Howdy! I'm a first-time poster, so please forgive me if this has been discussed before.
A little background: I have been doing UW photography since 1987, first with a Nikonos V and more recently with a Nikon N90s in an Aquatica housing. I love the Aquatica/N90 setup, but it's time to move on to digital.
I now have a D100, with an Aquatica housing on the way. I hope to check it out on Little Cayman in three weeks. I have two questions, one about the ports and one about the strobe.
1. I have an 8" dome port for the Aquatica. I have a Nikon 20 mm lens that I have not used in the housed system, but I expect it to do fine. However, with the D100, the 20 mm becomes 30 mm, which is certainly not a very wide angle lens underwater. My wife recently surprised me with a Nikon 14 mm AF lens. This is a big lens both in length and diameter. I think that I can make this lens go through the housing and port opening, but it almost touches the dome port. I assume that I need a port extender, but which one? I asked Helix, but they said that no port extender is needed. The lens/port chart shown on the Aquatica website doesn't show this lens, only a Sigma 14 mm lens which does need an extender. Has anyone used the Nikon 14 mm AF lens in an Aquatica housing, and if so, which port extender is appropriate?
2. I am hoping to use my Nikonos SB-105 strobe with the D100. I understand that it will not work in TTL mode. I hate that, but I shot manual for years with the Nikonos V, so I can do it again. I have read that the SB-105 will not fire at all, even on manual, with the Nikonos sync cord. Where can I get a sync cord that works with the D100 and SB-105? Also, on the Ikelite webpage, there is a diagram that indicates that my Nikonos sync cord will work (manual flash mode) if I tape over one of the hotshoe contacts. Has anyone tried this?
Thanks for any help!
P.S.: If you have the March/April 2003 issue of "Alert Diver" (the DAN magazine), the "Parting Shot" photo on the inside back cover is mine.