Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Canon IXUS underwater mode.....

Started by Chipstix ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon IXUS underwater mode.....

3 posts
  1. Hi All,

     

    I have a question about camera settings.

     

    I will be diving with a Canon IXUS SD850 IS, and an Ikelite 6147.8 Housing (no wide angle lens or strobe.....yet)

     

    The camera does not have a RAW format, so I will have to use the highest resolution possible (jpeg).

     

    My question is, as a new Photoshop user (currently studying a Deke McLelland one-on-one course), should I use the camera's 'underwater' setting, which is applying some form of colour correction (plus maybe more) or leave it in a standard auto mode and correct after?

     

    Is the advice different if I am doing shallow shots nr the surface?

     

    If most of the results will be better when set in 'underwater mode', and the corrections that the mode makes can be reveresed/tweaked if it gets it wrong, perhaps that would be the best option? Other than colour balance, I'm not sure what else Canon 'sets' in the underwater mode.

     

    Advice welcome!

     

    Thanks, Chris

    Edited by Chipstix
  2. i find the Canon UW mode works quite well actually. I always set up my renters with it. Gives a lot better colour than leaving it on auto that is for sure. Also try to set your ISO to 100 or lower.

     

    Keep the flash on forced flash for close up work and turn it off for anything further than about 2 feet or so from the camera in order to avoid backscatter

  3. i find the Canon UW mode works quite well actually. I always set up my renters with it. Gives a lot better colour than leaving it on auto that is for sure. Also try to set your ISO to 100 or lower.

     

    Keep the flash on forced flash for close up work and turn it off for anything further than about 2 feet or so from the camera in order to avoid backscatter

     

    Great, thanks for the tips.....

     

    Anyone know what else the underwater mode actually sets?

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.