Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

New Video Codec

Started by wagsy ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

New Video Codec

10 posts
  1. OKAY you video bums. :)

     

    As some of you know Macromedia (Adobe now) uses a codec called On2Vp6 for their Flash (flv) video.

    Well the company that made the codec, On2 has out a new version called On2 VP7 and I believe Macromedia (Adobe) have the rights to use it as well.

     

    So here is a clip I made straight from a HDV timeline in EIDUS using this new codec.

    You need to go to the On2 site and download their free Vp7 codec.

     

    Then download these two clips that wmp will play.

    Clip One is 640/480 @ 500kbps 4 megs

    Clip Two is 640/480 @ 256kbps 3 megs

     

    Not bad quality for the size. I'll do a 1280/720 @ 1500kbps to see how it looks soon.

    Not sure it there is a version for the MAC world.

     

    Update....

    Here is a 1280/720 one @ 1500kbps 7.60megs

     

    Update2...

    I have now embed the 1280/720 Vp7 clip into a web page. (1500kbps)

    If you have the Vp7 codec installed, windows media player will play it. Double click it and it will go full screen.

    Amazing on my 22 inch screen at full size streaming in real time. :P

     

    Update3...

    I have a 5 minute 60 meg 1500kbps clip here now.

     

    QT H.264 eat your heart out :guiness:

    Edited by wagsy
  2. Hi Wags,

     

    Thanks for the info.

    I downloaded the codec and watched the three files. The biggest one looks great and the size is certainly within reason.

     

    I tried to export from within Edius with the new codec but Procoder doesn't do anything at all. No error, nothing. It just vanishes. Any idea?

     

    What settings did you use?

     

    Peter

  3. Hi Peter

    I'll post what I did in Edius..stay tuned...

     

    I'm rather impressed at the codec at those low kbps.

    You can encode them even better but takes more time.

    The large 1500kbps one will play in realtime with most normal broadband.

    I'll embed it into a web page.

  4. Do they only do PC codec?

  5. Hi Jonny

     

    Unfortunately On2 has not released any VP7 codec for Mac yet.

    If you have dual boot go into windows and have a look.

    I thought H.264 was king but this one is amazing for a 1280/720 - 1500kbps rate.

     

    Here is the direct link to the 60 meg VP7 file.

  6. bugger!

     

    I'll fire up my old laptop and give it a look.

  7. Well someone downloaded it and was impressed.

    www.On2.com the company that made that VP6 & Vp7 codec want to use that clip as a promo at trade shows and stuff. :)

  8. Wags did it again!! What was the going rate again for commercial use: 100$/sec :)

     

    I downloaded your 60 MB movie. Great footage and the codec quality is awsome. I watched it on a 24 inch monitor at full resolution. You see some blur with fast movements but it still extraordinary.

     

    Did you play with their flash encoders as well?

  9. Quite nice Wags. Pretty amazing for just a 60MB file.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.