Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Mimic octopus or wonderpus?

Started by davichin ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Mimic octopus or wonderpus?

14 posts
  1. I saw this little guy (or girl :) ) in Lembeh and I thought it was a mimic but I find it too brown and I am not sure... any help? :P

     

    DSC_2008.jpg

     

     

    Thank you very much!!

  2. Wonderpus IMO.

  3. Wunderpus always have bands like in your pic, even if they change color. Mimic may or may not have bands. They seem to be a bit more versitile.

  4. I can't see the picture!

     

    Alex

  5. I can't see the picture!

     

    Alex

     

    Hello Alex!

     

    I don´t know why the pic changed its link :) ....

     

     

    DSC_2008.jpg

  6. The wide "webbing" makes one think it's a wonderpus. However, this and the banding aren't always the decider. I saw this guy in Lembeh;

     

    mimicoctopus.jpg

     

    The wide webbing and wide bands made me think wonderpus. Then, it ran off like this;

     

     

    Mimictryingtobeaflounder.jpg

     

    I would say this one was a definite Mimic.

    So, in answer, hard to say!

  7. Hey David,

     

    That's a Wonderpus.

     

    Alex

  8. Yes, agree with Alex. Dave's is definitely a wonderpus and Allison's is a mimic. The fastest way I tell is that the mimic has a thin white margin edging its legs, and the wonderpus does not. To me, they look distinctively different when I watch them in the water, but it's hard to describe.

  9. isn't the main difference that on the wonderpuss the eyes and 'head' are on a stalk, whereas on the mimic it is much shorter. I would agree that Allison's is a mimic.

  10. DSC_2008.jpg

     

    :) its a gorgeous shot

  11. Great Wonderpus shot indeed !

     

    Just noticed something in that pic: How come 2 of the arms are so much smaller compared to the others?

    Any speficic reason/function?

  12. It may be regeneration from a lost arm, although some octopus species have specialised arms for transferring sperm - they are usually smaller. In this example though i'd go for regeneration

  13. Yes, agree with Alex. Dave's is definitely a wonderpus and Allison's is a mimic. The fastest way I tell is that the mimic has a thin white margin edging its legs, and the wonderpus does not. To me, they look distinctively different when I watch them in the water, but it's hard to describe.

     

    In the process of trying to identify our images from Bali I've read the paper by Hochberg et al (2006) describing the wonderpus. They give a list of features that distinguish between a wonderpus and a mimic. The most useful (least subtle) ones are:

     

    1. Shape of papilla above each eye

     

    wonderpus: inflated and blunt-tipped

    mimic: very elongate and finely pointed

     

    2. Number of suckers on the long arms

     

    wonderpus: up to 233

    mimic: up to 283

     

    3. Color pattern

     

    wonderpus: well-defined, round white spot at rear tip of mantle

    mimic: less well-defined, U-shaped white patch at rear tip of mantle

     

    Feature 2 would be problematic working in the field or from a photo, but 1 and 3 should be do-able. I don't know how reliable the papilla shape is (how variable are they in each species?) but it seems to me that this criterion alone identifies Dave's as a wonderpus and Allison's as a mimic.

     

    The paper doesn't mention width of webbing or white margins on the arms as distinguishing features, but they may not have examined enough specimens.

     

    Les

    Edited by reefnet
  14. Thank you very much!!

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.