Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

cheap waterproof glands you can buy from a plumber!!

Started by Dan burton ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

cheap waterproof glands you can buy from a plumber!!

17 posts
  1. if you are thing about building a housing.

    then try these

    http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...sa=N&tab=wi

    these are the perfect glands. Cheap.. Ideal for small controls.

    The rods are small 2mm. Use in thermostat controls in raditors. They are tested to 10bar.

    My friend uses them.

    The part is A Danfoss 013G0290

     

    Try it..

     

     

    post-8041-1201262850.jpeg

    Edited by Dan burton
  2. So whats on the reverse side? How could you attach an arm to these?

     

    I like the thread idea.

  3. buuuuut. The will only be rated in one direction. ie they may fail if the pressure is on the wrong side.

  4. buuuuut. The will only be rated in one direction. ie they may fail if the pressure is on the wrong side.

     

    Not so, assuming the o-ring groove is of standard design. It should be a rectangular groove. Pressurized side doesn't matter.

  5. buuuuut. The will only be rated in one direction. ie they may fail if the pressure is on the wrong side.

     

     

    10 BAR LIKE ANY CENTRAL HEATING SYSTEM.

  6. OK MR CAPS LOCK. :P

     

    I was not saying that your idea was bad - i was suggesting that often valves and seals are only rated in one direction. IE a central heating system is rated from 10 bar from inside the pipe. If your reverse the pressure gradient the seal MAY fail depending on the spring in relation to the o-ring, but i am not a plumber. I do not know the technical aspects of the valve, hence my use of may and not will in my original post.

     

    Possibly i could have written my query a little better, but there is no reason to be a caps lock about it. Hmm or am i being over sensitive? see here:

     

    http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/starthere/netiquette.html

     

    I hope they do work though. Assuming they are marine grade stainless steel and not too heavy. Oh, and not two different metals that will electrolise, cake and jam up on contact with salt water should you want to dive outside of a quarry. :)

     

     

    {Edited by moderator - a few letters inserted to reduce insult}

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  7. Simon, I just edited your post to reduce the insult level. Family forum and all that. With a title of "cheap waterproof glands" this thread might attract some "children".

     

    Alex

     

    p.s. I guess the bottom line on these glands is: Dan, would you bet a D3 on them working?

  8. From MW online..... You dont really think i'm that rude do you?

     

    Main Entry:1cock audio.gifPronunciation: ˈkäk Function:noun Etymology:Middle English cok, from Old English cocc, of imitative originDate:before 12th century

     

    1 a: the adult male of the domestic chicken (Gallus gallus) b: the male of birds other than the domestic chicken c: woodcock darchaic : the crowing of a cock; also : cockcrow e: weathercock

     

    2b a device (as a faucet or valve) for regulating the flow of a liquid

     

    3 a: a chief person : leader b: a person of spirit and often of a certain swagger or arrogance4 a: the hammer in the lock of a firearm b: the cocked position of the hammer

     

    :o I thought it was quite an apt jibe and was not meant as insulting. As there is no word filter here i could have used any amount or profanity if i was angered.

     

    Misinterpretations can cause all sorts of problems online. Hehe, i guess i'm not in a very gay mood. :):P

    Edited by Scuba_SI
  9. Has anyone tried this glands? I realy like the idea and would like to know if they work before i use them . Can someone give me any links to alternative ideas for DIY buttons?

    Thanks, Tjaz

  10. Simon, I just edited your post to reduce the insult level. Family forum and all that. With a title of "cheap waterproof glands" this thread might attract some "children".

     

    Alex

     

    p.s. I guess the bottom line on these glands is: Dan, would you bet a D3 on them working?

     

     

    I have tested them on my d2x and my sony z1..

    Work great..

  11. Very interesting. Just what I was looking for, for a project.

    Brass makes for easy working ,glad it is not stainless .

  12. I am building a housing for my Canon H10 camcorder and looking for a gland for the start/stop. My Sony Marinepack Cybershot housing has neat little spring loaded controls that work great. Does anyone know where I might get the spring loaded type?

    Thanks,

    Pete

  13. Awesome. Thank you. I might be able to use these in my project.

     

    Mike

  14. Same question as Peter. Are these spring loaded?

     

    Also, has anyone found a good source for them?

     

    With the little bit of searching I've done, seems that they're very expensive.

     

    As in designing exactly what you want and getting them machined would possibly even be cheaper.

  15. I know this thread is a bit old now, but I'm looking for some buttons for a custom project I'm undertaking to modify my old Subal housing. Does anyone know of these or something similar that might work.

  16. For buttons you might try making them out of stainless bolts of the correct diameter, thred and shape, with the button head mzde of ABS plastic. You can mold ABS very easily using shavings and ABS glue. Acetone also dessolves it and dries fast, it can then be sanded to shaped. Heating for about 3 minutes in a kitchen over set to just above boiling water temp (120 C) softens the ABS so it can be finger molded. Have fun!

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.