Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

Greenpeace target Canon

Started by vincentkneefel ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Greenpeace target Canon

16 posts
  1. Conservation group Greenpeace are targeting Japanese camera manufacturer Canon, asking the company if it supports the Japanese Whaling effort.

     

    Canon touts itself as a conservation-minded company and endangered species advocate through its regular ads in National Geographic.

     

    Canon has failed to condemn the whaling, which is disappointing to say the least.

     

    I wonder what Nikon thinks of whaling?

    Edited by photovan
  2. Yeah, I wonder what Nikon's statement is.

     

    Greenpeace has also targeted Apple (about materials -- not whaling). One of my friends who works there is pretty pissed about that because Apple is so small when compared to so many other computer / media companies out there. But Apple is really the one in the media spotlight; it's probably more effective to target Apple than it is to target Dell...

    Edited by echeng
  3. Canon are a Conservation Partner of WWF in Europe, Africa and the Middle East (obviously not in the Southern Ocean....)

     

    And make a big deal about their advocacy of wildlife here

     

    Canon users (at least) should send this email letter to Canon

    Edited by photovan
  4. Conservation group Greenpeace are targeting Japanese camera manufacturer Canon, asking the company if it supports the Japanese Whaling effort.
    I like Greenpeace's approach. I wonder what Paul Watson would do? Blow up the Canon factory? (of course after warning everyone to get out).
  5. Yeah, I wonder what Nikon's statement is.

     

    1) If Nikon said whaling is evil and donated $100k to Greanpeace, would you switch?

     

    2) If Nikon said they serve whale meat in all their cafeterias just like Canon, would you switch to say, Olympus?

     

    3) If all the Japanese camera companies refused to condemn whaling, would switch to uh....... used Kodak?

     

    Just curious.

     

    If, as a Greenpeace supporter, you aren't willing to change your gear, it would seem to me that this strategy may be a waste of time for Greenpeace.

     

    I think it would be much easier to get people to not eat Ben and Jerry's (an older Greenpeace effort) than not buy Canon or Apple products.

  6. 1) If Nikon said whaling is evil and donated $100k to Greanpeace, would you switch?

     

    2) If Nikon said they serve whale meat in all their cafeterias just like Canon, would you switch to say, Olympus?

     

    3) If all the Japanese camera companies refused to condemn whaling, would switch to uh....... used Kodak?

     

    Just curious.

     

    If, as a Greenpeace supporter, you aren't willing to change your gear, it would seem to me that this strategy may be a waste of time for Greenpeace.

     

    I think it would be much easier to get people to not eat Ben and Jerry's (an older Greenpeace effort) than not buy Canon or Apple products.

     

    The main point here is that Canon spend a lot of money on ads and sponsorships convincing us that they are concerned about the plight of wildlife and the environment, so it seems fair to ask the question if they are serious about the issues or just greenwashing.

     

    Olympus advertise using wildlife too, with their Mitsawaki Iwago ads, so it would be fair to ask them the question also. :D

     

    Not sure about Nikon's ads...are they interesting? :lol:

     

    and jut for fun scorpio...

    1. Greenpeace don't accept corporate donations only $s from individuals :)

    2. I used OM-2n s before I switched to Canon in 1986 :lol:

    3. 'blad or Leica maybe :D;)

     

    Greenpeace isn't suggesting a product boycott, just asking a question of Canon.

  7. :D:lol:

    post-7698-1201445533_thumb.jpg

  8. :D:lol:

     

    Was that that a photoshop job? It looks like photoshop job to me. Sometimes people try to use photoshop and hide things and I am not sure that is always a proper thing to do. But I guess that I am cynical about this and are second look it isn't photoshop, I had forgotten about the Nikon 400D. My bad.

     

    :lol:

  9. LOL Drew, of course it's a photoshop thing (did it at work while I was bored with nothing to do). I thought it would've been obvious by putting the yellow Nikon label on the cam. :lol:

     

    I was just reading this post and on the one had I see people critizing Canon but on the other hand they're still happily shooting their Canons. :D

    So, putting a "Nikon label" on a Canon camera is a way of salving one's conscience :lol:

    Edited by bartusderidder
  10. LOL Drew, of course it's a photoshop thing (did it at work while I was bored with nothing to do). I thought it would've been obvious by putting the yellow Nikon label on the cam. :lol:

     

    I was just reading this post and on the one had I see people critizing Canon but on the other hand they're still happily shooting their Canons. :D

    So, putting a "Nikon label" on a Canon camera is a way of salving one's conscience :lol:

     

     

    Hey I was laughing because it was so obvious that you did it intentionally and it was great. ;)

  11. I was just reading this post and on the one had I see people critizing Canon but on the other hand they're still happily shooting their Canons.

     

    :D This is quite a blunt statement. All folks that were discussing this topic care about conservation and this situation developed only very recently. There is no reason to accuse Canon users, who criticize Canon, of hypocrisy. Canon users should take their own responsiblity by telling Canon that they do not agree with their statement and see what happens next. To expect from people to get rid of a 15K+ USD kit right away is a little bit out of proportion...

  12. ...of course it's a photoshop thing (did it at work while I was bored with nothing to do). ..... ;)

    sounds like the ideal job for a keen underwater photographer... :lol:

    I was just reading this post and on the one had I see people critizing Canon but on the other hand they're still happily shooting their Canons. :D

    So you're implying that if someone gets married they can never disagree with their partner? Just dump them and try a new one.... :lol:

    Anyway, now when I feel hypocritical about shooting Canon, I just pull out the Nikon and I feel better straight away... until I have to work on the files that is... :D

    :) There is no reason to accuse Canon users, who criticize Canon, of hypocrisy.

    I totally agree. It's no use accusing us of anything, 'cause we won't listen anyway.

     

    We'll just send our letter to Canon and keep encouraging every other Canon user to do so... :P

  13. All folks that were discussing this topic care about conservation...

    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I said nor even insinuated anyone was not caring about conservation.

     

    ...and this situation developed only very recently...

    Yes, I know, but I was already thinking ahead in the future. You know, at the "End of Times", Judgement Day and picturing that Canon had stuck by its decision to not condemn whaling....made me wonder how some Canon users (or any other brand, so you don't feel personally attacked) would (re)act...

     

    There is no reason to accuse Canon users, who criticize Canon, of hypocrisy. Canon users should take their own responsiblity by telling Canon that they do not agree with their statement and see what happens next.

    So, I hope for you, that all Canon (or any other company for that reason) users who DO critize Canon also actually send that letter of complaint to Canon, otherwise you're dealing with hypocrisy at this moment in time. Could be interesting to see the statistics.

     

    To expect from people to get rid of a 15K+ USD kit right away is a little bit out of proportion...

    Maybe not right away, but what will you do if Canon ignores your letters of complaint? Will you be a "die hard I stick to my principles conservationist" or will you think "Canon is wrong, but damn, it's still such a nice camera so I'm gonna continue shooting it, but maybe cover the Canon label with a Nikon one".

     

     

    But "sigh" :D ...I feel like I cracked a joke at a funeral's lunch, maybe a bad joke (but hey, "de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum"). I should've just left that picture without any explanatory lines...

  14. I should've just left that picture without any explanatory lines...

     

     

    Not sure if that is true, I think it just helps raise some interesting questions from all sides on the subject about action, inaction and what should be done - though we all want the same thing I think (proper conservation, protect the reefs, etc.) there are many ways to approach how to do it. Some things seem to resonate more for people than others. And discussing the matter may open up the issues a bit more and get people thinking.

     

    Of course people on this board are semi "preaching to the choir" to some degree but I find it valuable to see the various arguments and angles.

  15. So, I hope for you, that all Canon (or any other company for that reason) users who DO critize Canon also actually send that letter of complaint to Canon, otherwise you're dealing with hypocrisy at this moment in time. Could be interesting to see the statistics.

    Now there's a challenge.... Canon users keep those emails filling Mister Fujio Mitarai's inbox

     

    suggest tell all your friends do too... most will have been a Canon customer at some point (if not a camera maybe a printer/copier/etc).

     

    Thanks to all for contributing to the discussion. :D:lol::lol:

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.