Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

2x Diopter Results.........

Started by caveman ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

2x Diopter Results.........

5 posts
  1. Went down with my Nikkor 60mm and a 2x dipoter for the first time ( diopter on loan). Results :-

     

    Enjoyed the 2x image size, and I would say I prefer 2:1 than 1:1. Down side, well, focusing became more slow at close macro's, and, had a big problem at max focus point. For some reason ( I aint a lens specialist ) the focus point was bought closer to the lens ( using a Sea and Sea NX 80 housing ), so close that I could not get a good close up of commesural shrimps. Main reason was the focus was so close to the lens that the strobe diameter was too big, and actually bigger than the focal point. I could not get in close enough to take the shot.

     

    The other problem was that you had to get very close, and shy animals would be impossible to shoot.

     

    Anyone got any advice ? I know some people take the 200mm with the 2x diopter, at least you get some space between the lens and the subject.

     

    Any one got advice on the right config for 2:1 and keeping about 30 cm distance from the subject ?

  2. Easy solution - get a D100 or S2 and enjoy nearly 3:1 macro from 30cm

  3. Another arguement - Less water, more detail & saturation. 30cm is too far for good quality 2:1

     

    High magnification is more successful with things that cannot swim away in a hurry or by spending an hour with a subject. Otherwise one has to employ a longer lens or add a 2x converter to the 60mm.

     

    A good setup, and we have talked about this before, is a good sigma zoom (60 - 210 Tiny lens too) or even the sigma 180mm macro. I use a 70 - 200mm lens with diopters for macro on land and use the zoom to focus.

     

    Strobe setup - You may find 2 x YS 30's much more practical as they are tiny and can be arranged to blitz something just infront of the port glass.

  4. Thanks,

     

    The 105mm lens has a min focus point of 0.314m at 1:1 I think. I understand that maybe making it less ( i.e. like 0.2m for the 60 mm ) would still be acceptable, but anything less than that will be a problem with shy animals and possibly stobe placement )

  5. Any one got advice on the right config for 2:1  and keeping about 30 cm distance from the subject ?

    Have a look here for some Nikon lens magnification data

     

    http://www.kasson.com/technical_information.htm

     

    Were you using a 2x teleconverter instead of a +2 close-up diopter?

     

    PauP

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.