Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

35mm slides to digital??

Started by arcatus ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

35mm slides to digital??

2 posts
  1. I, like many of you here, have a large number of slides taken in the pre-digital dark ages. I have a Nikon digital slide scanner, and I've made some effort to start scanning slides, but it takes a looong time.

     

    The idea occurs to me - can I speed up the process by using a slide copier mounted to a good macro lens (Nikon 60 or 105) on my D80 to get high-quality digital copies at a much faster rate?

     

    I assume a strobe would be required, but what about color-correcting filters, or is that done in post-processing with Photoshop?

     

    Pros and Cons??

     

    Thanks

    Dave

  2. Currently I use a nikon coolscan and 50slide adaptor, but yep it is a bit slow sometimes....

     

    I haven't tried it yet, but I looked at my old bowens illumitrans over the weekend and thought the same thing... maybe it would make an OK low res scanner for my slide collection.

     

    The illumitrans was designed way back when to dupe and interneg trannies. It is an all-in-one lightbox/flash/bellows unit.

     

    Here is one article on using a dslr to take pics of slides

     

    Here's one illumitrans on ebay. The pic here is from the person selling the illumitrans' ebay listing.

     

    Thanks you've prompted me to clean up the illumitrans and to give it a go....

     

    darren

     

    post-6899-1201579220_thumb.jpg

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.