Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Wondering about parasites

Started by mandarinfish ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Wondering about parasites

10 posts
  1. Just wondering if anyone can tell me what these parasites are on these gobies, and anything about them? Are they worms of some type?

     

    040510_10.jpg

     

    071102_08.jpg

     

    Thanks!

  2. I'm sure you'll have a more qualified response soon, but I think they are parasitic copepods.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. I'm sure you'll have a more qualified response soon, but I think they are parasitic copepods.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    Thanks, James. I'll check those out.

     

    Linda

  4. James is right. The photographs show 2 different types of parasitic copepods. Copepods come in a wide variety of body shapes and life styles. In the first image the copepod appears to be internal with only the 2 egg strings showing. It's body is highly modified & if you dissected it out wouldn't appear to be a crustacean at all. In the second the body is external and while still modified still has jointed appendages (although you'd need a microscope to see them).

     

    My favorites are the monstrilloid copepods. As juveniles they're internal parasites in polychaetes, with big metallic hubcap eyes, a pink slug-like body, and a few jointed appendages. They attach to the worm's digestive tract for nourishment. At some point they break out of the worm's body to become non-feeding, free-swimming adults on the prowl for sex. Adults & juveniles look quite different and only the adults can be identified. I have photos of both life stages at http://www.flickr.com/photos/86448061@N00/

    Edited by Leslie
  5. James is right. The photographs show 2 different types of parasitic copepods. Copepods come in a wide variety of body shapes and life styles. In the first image the copepod appears to be internal with only the 2 egg strings showing. It's body is highly modified & if you dissected it out wouldn't appear to be a crustacean at all. In the second the body is external and while still modified still has jointed appendages (although you'd need a microscope to see them).

     

    My favorites are the monstrilloid copepods. As juveniles they're internal parasites in polychaetes, with big metallic hubcap eyes, a pink slug-like body, and a few jointed appendages. They attach to the worm's digestive tract for nourishment. At some point they break out of the worm's body to become non-feeding, free-swimming adults on the prowl for sex. Adults & juveniles look quite different and only the adults can be identified. I have photos of both life stages at http://www.flickr.com/photos/86448061@N00/

     

    Yowsa! Great photos and great information, Leslie. I thought the name of the monstrilloid copepod was creepy, but the photos do the name justice!

     

    On my first one, there were eggs on the other side of the fish as well. Are these all from one internal copepod?

     

    And I gotta ask - these guys aren't at all interested in humans, right??? :D

     

    thanks,

    Linda

  6. I'll trump your monstrilloid. This one you're not likely to get many photos of, but it wins in my book hands-down for sheer gross-out factor.

     

    Cymothoa exigua - the "tongue replacement" copepod:

     

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymothoa_exigua

     

    tonguereplacementisopodzv8.jpg

     

    (note - image is not mine, nor do I claim such. I hope I linked to the true owner's)

  7. LOL Yup, that is an especially gross picture. I've seen a lot of pictures of clowns that seem to have isopod tongue parasites as well.

     

    Linda - thanks. Each of these copepods has 2 egg strings so the ones on the other side do belong to another one. These particular ones don't parasitize people. On the other hand, ever get into the water & feel like mosquitoes or wasps are biting you? That's likely to be from free living isopods like cirolanids which are hit & run predators.

  8. I've felt that in mid-water depths (20-40) down in the Flower gardens - like little electric shocks. I sort of assumed it was tiny jellyfish or something, because it usually happens when you get one of those slightly murky, algal layers in the current flow....

     

    outh, somthingth gwowig od by tung!

  9. The little electric shocks could be either isopods or thimble jellies, both are called sea lice. If you had red welts or rashes afterwards it was the jellies.

     

    One early report of the Cloverfield monster said it had characteristics of an parasitic amphipod & the monster's parasites were like isopods. I was so disappointed to hear that wasn't the case!

  10. I don't know if I should be ashamed or not to admit I liked that movie. I was particularly happy to be confirmed that the little beasties were parasites, when someone else was trying to say they were 'young'. Somehow none of the other 'monster movies' (Godzilla, etc) ever had parasites. I mean, how much BETTER a host for fleas and lice can you imagine than Bigfoot? (Or Chewbacca for that matter! :) )

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.