Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Barnacles and Hedgehog Hydroids

Started by Steve Williams ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Barnacles and Hedgehog Hydroids

6 posts
  1. Thanks to Scott at Ladiving.org I believe this is a hedgehog hydroid with a couple of barnacles. In the interest of accuracy I'd like to know the correct names. I'm guessing the hyroid is Hydractinia milleri. I'm clueless on the barnacles. I'm guessing they're common but I haven't been able to find a good site to check them out. This was shot of Catalina Island, Cat harbor reef in about 15 ft. (5m) Any help appreciated :)Image linked here

     

    Steve

  2. hey Steve,

     

    I identified your shot, nice work... H milleri is correct, and the barnacles are either Balanus nubilus or Megabalanus californicus, I'm not sure which one.

  3. Thank you Scott :):( !

     

    I'm not sure about the barnacles, the images I can find on the web don't look quite right for either but I slept through biology class. Every time I guess I'm usually wrong. It was nice to see the shots up on the ladivings smugbug site. I lived and dove in SoCal for 15 years, I miss it. Thanks again for the help!

     

    Steve

  4. Your link led me to a private page that it wouldn't show me pictures from.

  5. Now I can see it too! Nice shot!

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.