---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some questions for the digital experts from a film based professional
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Should I replace my Nexus housed film Nikons by their expensive digital equivalents, shall I also need to bring my fragile and also expensive laptop to store the images ?
Digital imaging says that "you can select your good shots on the spot (or after the dive) to free space on your memory cards". Supposing that I leave the laptop at home, how can I know that my shot is sharp when I view it on the small low resolution camera LCD screen ?
How do I work in 99% humidity environments with high moisture sensitive equipment and without the luxurious faclity of a "dry room" ?
I sometimes hardly get enough power to charge my strobes. How can I charge the cameras and laptop then ?
Trickier : I can take up to 50 rolls of slide film (36 exposures) on a single 8 days assignment. Out of that, I get 100 to 150 top end photos once back home. If I want, these rolls can give me up to 6000 x 4000 pixels (24Mpixels - 70 Mb on disk) uncompressed TIFF digital images using the excellent Nikon Cooslcan filmscanner, and this for each single shot. How many data storage cards do I need to bring home 150 maximum uncompressed resolution images of a D100, assuming that I sort them on the spot ?
I'm not anti-digital, I'm just trying to figure-out how I could decently switch to it whithout turning my work into even harder than today in terms of equipment handling and maintenance while working in remote and extremely humid locations ? This is not even talking about the price I must pay for the upgrade...
Thansk to whoever will take the time to reply.
Sincerely yours,
Bert