Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

www.hdvundersea.com

Started by wagsy ·

  • 20Posts
  • 20Replies

Read-only discussion

www.hdvundersea.com

20 posts
  1. GDAY ALL

     

    I made an underwater video Youtube like site that you all can load your clips to.

    Maybe later ERIC can let you embed them into wetpixel like you can with youtube clips now.

    You can share and embed them into forums just like youtube.

    It's not full screen HD res but it's better than what you get with youtube now and they should play in realtime for most broadband users, others may have to wait abit till they buffer.

     

    Let us know how you go with it.

    www.hdvundersea.com

    Wags

    ....................................................................................................

    UPDATE.... Here are some encoding tips.

     

    1. Make your clips, wmv, QT, Flash, Divx, Avi, 3pg, mp4, mov, mpg, mpeg, rm, dat, H.264.

     

    2. Encode them out CBR 500 - 700kbps with a resolution size from 480/270 or higher.

     

    3. Max file size is 50 megs.

     

    4. If you load up FLASH (flv) files they will not be re converted on the server.

     

    5. Clips that are not FLASH (flv) will be converted once on the server so there may be a slight delay till your video appears. You will be automatically sent an email when it happens though. It's best to try and load up flv clips as that puts the least amount of work on the server.

     

    6. If you are loading up a clip and the country is not listed, place it in the Other Category for now and let us know so we can make a new country listing for it.

     

    7. We found that for the very best quality use the Flix Pro or Flix Exporter encoders from On2's web site to make your Vp6 codec flv (FLASH) clips. There are both MAC & PC versions available. Other FLASH flv encoders work well to.

     

    8. QT H.264 files seem to come out okay and so do mpeg ones. WMV 9 files seem to come out not so good.

     

    9. If we come across any clips that did not encode well after you loaded them up, we will re encode the original file you loaded up with Flix Pro Vp6 for you.

    Cheers and thanks for joining in.

    Paul Wags

    Edited by wagsy
  2. Wags,

     

    That's a great idea! I hate the youtube quality.

    I hope you have enough bandwidth on your server. This could be big.

     

    Peter

  3. Hey Wags,

     

    Looking good. Downloads fast here, no buffering required! For your watermark, it is possible to do it with a transparent background (png file) rather than with the white box? That would be my only comment on the styling.

     

    Good Job!

  4. Cheers and thanks for looking.

    Yes that is possible but so far the quick transparent ones I made did not look too good.

    I'll work on it now that it's up and running.

     

    Load up a clip.

  5. i would, but the Canadian has stopped my editing computer from working... I guess i could try i-movie.

     

    As the South Park song goes... Blame Canada, Blame Canada.

  6. Well tell him to stop spending his money on Booze and save up for a computer. :)

  7. blame dirty power... not me

  8. Booze? Are you suggesting that Mike and I drink from time to time?

     

    That is preposterous sir! :)

     

    blah blah blah dirty power. ;)

  9. Well if it was dirty power you should invest in a surge protector, cost about 10 beers :)

    Are you two working together over there? or trying to work...

     

    Anyhow back to my video site.

    Load something up folks.

     

    So far my first and only user is Mr Scubapix.

    http://hdvundersea.com/view/22/humpback-whales/

  10. surge protector and ups.. sigh..

     

    got it going now! haha

     

    I have 1gb per month, i ain't uploading/downloading squat!

     

    :)

  11. Wags,

     

    I just uploaded a clip but when i see the quality online it looks not wright!

    What is wrong?

  12. Hi Brumpy

     

    Thanks for loading up your clip but I re encoded it for you so now it looks much better. WMV 9 files seem to not re encode to well by the server by the looks.

     

    The best is the Flix Vp6 FLV encoder from On2 or even QT H.264 seem to work well to. Other FLASH encoders work well to. flv clips do not get re encoded by the server.

     

    Have a look at it now anyhow.

     

    http://hdvundersea.com/view/42/seychellen/Cheers

     

    Paul Wags

  13. Hey Wags,

     

    the video i uploaded looks great apart from i only get about 10 seconds play then a 30 second buffering wait .. is this just the distance between me and the server ?

     

    Giles

  14. Giles

    If your connection is not the best it may stop and buffer abit. Just hit pause and let is load abit works well.

    Plays back in realtime for me way over here. The server is in the USA as most of you mob are over that way. :)

     

    Thats why 500-700kbps should be about the highest rate to encode the clips so they play in realtime for most. It's a fine line between quality and realtime playback.

     

    If you load up a flv clip make sure yo don't go over this 700kbps as the flv clips don't get re encdoed like the other formats that get loaded up. Mpeg works good as well.

     

    Have you got copyright on that music :( (fair use" principle of copyright law hey) :wacko:

     

    By the way yo got me dancing over here with the music.

     

    Some good clips getting loaded up now.

    http://hdvundersea.com/view/43/diving-les-...nada-june-2007/

  15. The video was made by the guys who do the photos / videos on board our trips, there are no copyright laws in the cayman islands as far as I know, hence we get away with using whatever we like !

     

    And I think my problem maybe i encoded at 700kbps .. that may be killing me.

    The nice thing i LOVE about your site is it seems to store it in my cache somewhere so everytime you go back to any video it loads instantly !

  16. Wags, what's the optimum size to encode to? I thought I would try and encode something 1:1 so the browser doesn't resize it but when I measured one off the screen they seemed to be 540x310, which isn't quite 16:9.

     

    Those 800x450 ones at 700kbps video + 64kbps audio... is that what the server is making or are you guys encoding them to that before uploading?

     

    My brightcove flv files are 480x270 @500kbps video but I imagine upsizing by the browser is something to avoid.

  17. Hi Nick

    Still fine tuning it and you are indeed correct in that the player will up or downscale to fit the clips.

    I don't want it too small or too large and I want the clips to play in realtime.

     

    I have now set the player at 480/290 and loaded up a clip as 480/270.

    It seems the player has to be slightly higher than the clip as it has the control bar as well.

     

    The encoder does not change the clips size just encodes it to flv if it's not a flv clip and it's set @ 700kbps as clips other than flv loaded need the extra kbps to look okay.

     

    Anyhow looks better now.

    http://hdvundersea.com/view/51/ningaloo-great-barrier-reef/

     

    Thanks for your input. :D

    Edited by wagsy
  18. Nice move Wagsy!! :D

     

    I'm encoding some clips up now....

     

    Cheers, Simon

  19. Cool, I'll go over there and have a watch, Nick loaded up some nice stuff as well.

     

    Need to make some more country flags as well by the looks.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.