Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Core2Quad

Started by wagsy ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Core2Quad

16 posts
  1. Well today I ordered the bits to rebuild my PC.

    Total cost.....$750 AUD...gee I hate PC's :)

    Chip, Motherboard, Ram, PCI ATA card to drive my old storage drives and a turbo chip cool fan.

     

    I decided to go for a Core2Quad as it give better multitasking and rendering speed than even the faster Core2duo's. Not only that but the 2.4 Gig Q6600 chip I ordered is a classic and can easily be over clocked to 3Gigs and even higher with a good chip cooler so I ordered one of these.

    http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1254/4/pa...oler/index.html

     

    It will be interesting to see how far I can over clock it.

     

    Here is some specs on different CPU tests.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/07/16/cpu...007/page25.html

    Edited by wagsy
  2. What motherboard and graphics card did you go for Wags?

  3. Wagsy, I hope you ordered the Q6600 with G0 stepping, part # BX80562Q6600 SLACR. These overclock better than the older Q6600's, and run much cooler. I just ordered one myself.

    Dan

  4. Dan, yep thats the one I got coming, funny some guys were putting water coolers on their chips and clocking theirs way up there. :) I should easily get to 3 GIG with a air fan though.

     

    Motherboard well I wanted one with a onboard graphics card so I can get three screens when using that and my Quadro PCI card. I also wanted one with a floppy port so I can boot off it if I need to do a roll back. This board should also allow me to overclock, has a firewire port and GIG lan.

    http://tw.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboa...?ProductID=2534

     

    EIDUS does not use the full 4 cores yet but it will certainly help it zoom along especially when it comes time to render out things. I'm thinking like HDV to DV will be 2x realtime or more as my old 3 GIG HT is 1x1 now.

    I'll be using XP still as Vista is a power pig and not compatible still with much software and hardware even though it runs with EDIUS.

    Edited by wagsy
  5. I'm also considering going Quad on my desktop. I'm waiting for the new 45nm Intel Quads. I have an ASUS MB and aparently it will support the new quads.

     

    Because I

     

    a. travel a lot (not diving related)

    b. have plenty of free time in the evening (going out every night realy gets boring after a number of YEARS - international consultancy for +10 years.

    c. have a stack of DV/HDV tapes that need editing for the new website.

     

    --> I'm looking for decent notebook.

     

    I read a couple of reviews and it seems that all mobile processors underperform their desktop counterparts, but they are far more expensive. There are some notebooks out there that use desktop processors. The Asus C90S series sounds promising, but it is already a bit dated (last summer). The succesor was announced (C90P). That could be a good option; desktop processor, eSata, ....

     

    What do you guys think?

     

    BTW. I'm using EDIUS for editing. What else ... I'm a Wagsy convert.

    Edited by PCDiver
  6. BTW. I'm using EDIUS for editing. What else ... I'm a Wagsy convert.

     

     

    My A/D convertor for getting my old VHS tapes died and I was in the Apple Store, about to pull the trigger on the Octo Core. Anyway they have the A/D Box from Canopus (my last one died) and lo and behold it has Edius Neo in there. I started chuckling and thought of Wagsy, but I will probably get that one to play with Edius. In fact I may actually have a copy or two around and never realized it. Go figure.

  7. Still waiting on my parts...W.A stands for Wait Awhile. :wacko:

     

    Yes there are new chips coming out all the time, trick is to make a setup that will take the new chips later on as well. If you have tons of $$$ grab the latest.

     

    After more reading it looks like the 2.4 GIG Q6600 Quad really has been over engineered and is a classic for overclocking.

    Many folks are running them at 3 - 3.6 GIG's and some guys with water coolers have them up at 4.4GIGs :)

     

    The problem with laptops is HEAT and compact size so they will never be as good as a desktop.

    The other thing you have to do with any new laptop is you need to run a program like pcdecrapifier to get rid of all the rubbish they put on them and that includes Norton's if it came with it....what a horrible piece of &^%$ that is.

     

    The Asus C90S comes as a whitebook, so you may be able to tell them what you want on it so you don't have to do a pcdecrapifier . Get as much Ram as you can. The first SP1 patch is out for VISTA if you are going for that.

     

    Thats one of the things about PC's I like, you have a huge choice of cheap bits to build a system and then tweek it to run way past the speed it was designed to run at.

     

    Hey so Mr PC diver when are we going to see some EDIUS cut clips?

     

    Real Drew, so did you sit down have a spin.

    Edited by wagsy
  8. Real Drew, so did you sit down have a spin.

     

     

    Well I went and ordered 4 1 terrabyte drives for the tower. Have the RAM (going to start with a total of 6 Gigs) in the shopping cart now. I am going to get the tower in the A.M. Was debating about the more powerful video card, but that can delay things for up to 3 weeks. The debate resolved itself to getting the machine now and worry about the video card if I really need it down the road, incremental cost will not be that great and think I can use the extra power now. Of course all of this can change in the morning :wacko:

     

    Looked around and did not find an Edius Disc (though I do run ProCoder once in awhile on the MacBook Pro) and will probaly pick the A/D box up also, sort of doesn't make a difference once the credit card is out it seems. Will try to load up Edius and get in going at some point once the machine is up, should be fun to try. Is Neo okay to play with?

  9. Still Hey so Mr PC diver when are we going to see some EDIUS cut clips?

     

    Plenty of clips at www.submergeproductions.com, all done with Edius. :wacko: Topside interviews only but underwater clips are going to follow shortly. I've almost finished a teaser for a deep wreck dive (Al Qamar, Egypt, 85 meters), but we are doing some more interviews this weekend.

  10. Well my bits arrived today so I pulled my system apart and now I am Quad core PC guy. The monster CPU fan is a classic, I post a pic of it later.

     

    So far I got the Quad 2.4Ghz running at 3.2Ghz no problems. :D

    Rendering is much faster and what's really strange is that while it's rendering you can open up Photoshop and other programs no worries.

     

    Thats a 31.62 % increase in CPU power.

    I wonder how much a 3.2 quad from Apple would cost?

     

    cpu.jpg

  11. Thats a 31.62 % increase in CPU power.

    I wonder how much a 3.2 quad from Apple would cost?

     

     

    More than what you paid, $2299 U.S. for the Quad 2.8 (all others are Dual Quad cores machines) On the other hand the Mac can run Windows and more importantly does not have to run Windows :D

     

    Glad you machine is rocking though :excl:

  12. Windows XP is fine, you just have to set it up correct.

     

    Here is some quick specs.

    Canopus HQ HDV codec to HDV m2t = 1 minute takes 1 minute.

    HDV m2t to HDV m2t = 1 minute is about 50 seconds.

    HDV to DVD = 1 minute takes 30 seconds. (before it took 3 minutes for 1 minute )

    DV to DVD = 1 minute takes 15 seconds :D

     

    Rendering out from EDIUS uses all 4 cores and sometimes hits 100% using it's speed encoder to make m2t files. Other formats do not use the full 4 cores but I can mess around in Photoshop or whatever no problems while it's rendering out clips.

     

    Editing now with multiply clips on top of each other with effects is amazing both in HDV and DV mode.

    No more waiting/rendering. :excl:

     

    NOW this is a fan.

    cpu1.jpg

  13. Editing now with multiply clips on top of each other with effects is amazing both in HDV and DV mode.

    No more waiting/rendering. :D

     

    Wagsy, I thought there was no rendering on those?. Just curious when I get around to playing around (at some point, not sure when) which things have to be rendered. For some reason I thought no rendering was needed.

     

    NOW this is a fan.

    cpu1.jpg

     

     

    And you can attach it to propel an underwater scooter when the computer is not in use :excl:

  14. Off topic, but I watched one of your podcast videos on the upgraded HD Apple TV. Looked great on my 46" Sony LCD TV.

  15. Well it is realtime until you have too many pips, effects or tracks on top of each other. What I am saying now is I get many more multiply effects/tracks playing back in realtime than before.

     

    Yes Dave, Mary did grab one of our clips from us for her divefilm HD site.

    Glad you liked it.

     

    CPU temp is ony at 35-40 degrees with that big fan.

    Edited by wagsy
  16. Update:

     

    Well this is about as high as I can go without the need for a water cooler.

    Standard Quad 2.4Ghz overclocked to 3.36Ghz :blush:

    Thats a 40% increase in speed for FREE.

     

    core.jpg

    Edited by wagsy
Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.