Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

M2V files

Started by Steve Douglas ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

M2V files

4 posts
  1. I have a guy who wants me to edit M2V files that he made when importing HDV footage into a low end

    Pinnacle NLE...don't know anything about these or Pinnaclel. Can these files then be dragged onto his external and could I then bring them into FCP without loss of resolution?

    Thanks,

    Steve

  2. I have a guy who wants me to edit M2V files that he made when importing HDV footage into a low end

    Pinnacle NLE...don't know anything about these or Pinnaclel. Can these files then be dragged onto his external and could I then bring them into FCP without loss of resolution?

    Thanks,

    Steve

     

     

    Steve if they are M2V (thinking compressed to M2V like you use to make a DVD in DVD SP as opposed to HDV MPEG-2 type thing) there will be some loss because it has been compressed. You can convert them using Compressor into a more editable version, or edit them (works in the newer FCP, and at some point earlier, but do not recall when) but there is rendering. In other words there will be a loss of quality due to compression or resizing. On the other hand depending on the initial footage quality and how compressed it was, may not be too bad.

     

    If somehow this m2v is actually how it is captured (have not used Pinnacle) it may just be a Codec/Wrapper issue there may not be loss, though rendering maybe needed.

     

    EDIT TO ADD: You may just want them to FTP a small section to see how it works before going through the motions.

     

    Also I would bet you can get a PC and Edius, it will do this instantly PLUS makes you coffee in the morning. :) . It is scary, I am thinking of getting Edius now because of Wagsy, but of course will run it on a Mac ;) I feel like a character from the Manchurian Candidate. Wagsy, what have you done to me?!?!?

    Edited by TheRealDrew
  3. Isn't .m2v just an elementary mpeg2 video stream (containing just the video, as opposed to "program" or "system" stream mpeg files that contain video and audio)? I get them out of of various MPEG2 encoders (standard definition). Here if one of my programs doesn't like them I rename them .mpg and they behave like a normal mpeg2 file.

     

    They might actually even be the full HDV video stream. If you get trouble bringing into FCP try renaming them .mpg or even .m2t and see what happens.

    Edited by Nick Hope
  4. Thanks, I think I will just have him send me the master tapes, I'd hate to start off a project with clips that have already lost some resolution. I just don't understand the PC world I guess.;-)

    Steve

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.