Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Connverting to FLV problem.

Started by Giles ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Connverting to FLV problem.

13 posts
  1. Hi there,

     

    I recently took a DVD and ripped it to .mp4 (MPEG-4 Part 10 H.264) This rip works fine and plays nicely.

     

    Now I would host it on a free hosting place apart from the fact that none accept it as it is too long even if it is very small file size 52.9mb

     

    So I decided using Dreamweavers inbuilt templates and import ability to host and show it myself.

    So I put it in the Flash CS3 video Encoder and let it do it stuff. There are not many settings and I just left them the same. The resulting file came out tiny, like 8mb http://www.nautilus.ky/video.php and now has no video but perfect audio. I have no idea why. I tried both codecs you can use in the encoder and left everything else as defualt.

     

    Does anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong or what I could do to get a nice good quality fix for this ?

     

    I just want it as FLV so I can host and present the video myself !

     

    Giles

    Edited by Giles
  2. Clicked your link, and all I get is a blank screen with audio.

    Dan

  3. Clicked your link, and all I get is a blank screen with audio.

    Dan

     

    Do you have Premier? I use Premier's Adobe Media Encoder to make flash and other video output and it works well.

  4. No I don't have premiere.

     

    and Dan .. I said I am getting perfect audio but no video ... I don't understand why the encoder is not pumping out video.

     

    As mentioned before I am putting a file .mp4 (MPEG-4 Part 10 H.264 which is 52.9mb big into Adobe Flash CS3 Video Encoder, which I assume is the best encoder as flash is made by them.

    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/quickstart/video_encoder/

    thats how the software works .. really very simple ..

     

    but my results come out with no video.

     

    I am going to try ripping the dvd to another format .. but I can't keep doing that over and over hoping .. i'd like to know the easiest way to go from DVD to FLV. I have as I say Flash CS3 dreamweaver, sony vegas and any other free software that is downloadable i can get.

     

    any advice welcome. FV format is brand new to me andI have no idea why it's not working.

  5. I am going to try ripping the dvd to another format .. but I can't keep doing that over and over hoping .. i'd like to know the easiest way to go from DVD to FLV. I have as I say Flash CS3 dreamweaver, sony vegas and any other free software that is downloadable i can get.

     

    any advice welcome. FV format is brand new to me andI have no idea why it's not working.

     

    MPEG Streamclip is a good demuxer http://www.squared5.com/ (Mac and Windows). Perhaps it is due to the Codec (MPEG-4) you converted it to and somehow a Codec issue there. Maybe try another Codec for the initial extract? I have not used the set up you are using, but have seen similar issues.

  6. Whats the best tool for ripping the video from a dvd .. rather than using Sony Vegas.

     

    I want something small, good quality output, but simple with good format choice. oh and free.

     

    any suggestions welcome while i rip using vegas !

     

    edit: downloading your suggestion after reading about it Drew .. thanks will see if that works out too. (no flv support though)

     

    edit : amsuingly Drew that software says you can either use Quicktime or Quicktime alternative. I have Quicktime .. all up to date and everything .. yet it won't work unless i use alternative or pay for a codec add on .. so that option is a no go for me.

    Edited by Giles
  7. Whats the best tool for ripping the video from a dvd .. rather than using Sony Vegas.

     

    I want something small, good quality output, but simple with good format choice. oh and free.

     

    any suggestions welcome while i rip using vegas !

     

    edit: downloading your suggestion after reading about it Drew .. thanks will see if that works out too. (no flv support though)

     

    edit : amsuingly Drew that software says you can either use Quicktime or Quicktime alternative. I have Quicktime .. all up to date and everything .. yet it won't work unless i use alternative or pay for a codec add on .. so that option is a no go for me.

     

    Shouldn't you be outputing a SWF (shockwave movie file) and not an FLV? If you are going to host it yourself, you will need a player too, right?

  8. edit : amsuingly Drew that software says you can either use Quicktime or Quicktime alternative. I have Quicktime .. all up to date and everything .. yet it won't work unless i use alternative or pay for a codec add on .. so that option is a no go for me.

     

     

    Giles sorry about that, probably looking for the MPEG-2 decoder/player, thought this works without the decoder for conversion from VOBs without the MPEG-2 portion, but it has been awhile since my computers may not have had that item.

     

    Can you extract to something else than the MP4 in your current workflow?

  9. I have it working .. it was just file format .. I guess I should have known better.

     

    .mpg and .mov and probably other .wmv and .avi files will seem to convert into .flv but .mp4 which is the newest right ? won't convert into FLV using Adobe Flash CS3 Video Encoder.

     

    As for using .SWF .. nope .. all video things you see like youtube goodle, ifilm etc (i think they do anyway) all use FLV.

    Its a nice format that is fairly small and allows you to have templates for controlling the movie.

    It is not the same as a Flash movie or sequence that many websites use.

    http://www.communitymx.com/content/article.cfm?cid=A98BB dreamweaver Flash Video insert instructions.

     

    And Drew yes that was exactly the error message it gave me, 2 hours from now I will have an FLV .. hopefully not very big in size and good quality .. will let ya know when I am done.

     

    Anyways it is encoding to FLV and this time i see a video preview which I wasn't expecting as hadn't seen it before.

    It's annoying now how many variations of formats for different things are needed .. oh well.

    Edited by Giles
  10. I have it working .. it was just file format .. I guess I should have known better.

     

    .mpg and .mov and probably other .wmv and .avi files will seem to convert into .flv but .mp4 which is the newest right ? won't convert into FLV using Adobe Flash CS3 Video Encoder.

     

    As for using .SWF .. nope .. all video things you see like youtube goodle, ifilm etc (i think they do anyway) all use FLV.

    Its a nice format that is fairly small and allows you to have templates for controlling the movie.

    It is not the same as a Flash movie or sequence that many websites use.

    http://www.communitymx.com/content/article.cfm?cid=A98BB dreamweaver Flash Video insert instructions.

     

    And Drew yes that was exactly the error message it gave me, 2 hours from now I will have an FLV .. hopefully not very big in size and good quality .. will let ya know when I am done.

     

    Anyways it is encoding to FLV and this time i see a video preview which I wasn't expecting as hadn't seen it before.

    It's annoying now how many variations of formats for different things are needed .. oh well.

     

    I dunno ... if you are going to host it yourself on your own page I'm pretty sure you either need a stand-alone SWF plus the FLV or you need to embed the FLV indside the SWF ... either way, you'll need a player - whether the FLV is inside it or not is a separate question.

     

    I think if the video is the only clip on the page it doesn't matter, but if you have more than one they can share a player and then it makes sense to build the SWF and FLV files separately.

     

    Maybe there is a way to host just the FLV - but every time I've ever hosted my own flash video files on my own server, I've had to embed an SWF on the page as well ... and I usually create it with the FLV inside it.

     

    If there's a way to do it without embeding the SWF I'm all ears ...

  11. Dreamweaver automatically gives you a progressive download (or streaming) .swf file and then a .swf skin file.

     

    all you need as a user is a .flv movie.

     

    if you don't have dreamweaver there are also quite a few free players with skins online such as wimpy http://www.wimpyplayer.com/ which does the same thing.

    Edited by Giles
  12. Giles glad to see you got it sorted.

    I know sometimes Macromedia Flash Encoder 8 will not take certain files but I can always get them to enccode if I put in a EDIUS timeline then export using the same encoder.

     

    Yes Dreamweaver will give you options of a player once you import it into a HTML page then load up the flv and player and away it goes.

     

    I tryed to load up the latest version that ADOBE make but not really happy at how huge the install is now that adobe has taken it over so staying with Macromedia's last version for now.

     

    You can load it up here http://www.hdvundersea.com and embed it into you site if yo like . It will take mp4 clips.

    Edited by wagsy
  13. Ohh wags .. indeed .. in all my excitement of trying to do it myself I forgot you have the perfect solution !

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.