I'm new to digital slr and have seen a number of threads on TTL and strobes. I've got an EOS-10D on order. What are the issues and decisions regarding TTL and strobes or housings?
- 5Posts
- 5Replies
Read-only discussion
Issues with TTL and strobe
-
-
You have one choice for TTL
Ikelite DS series strobe and a sensor. Otherwise you will have to shoot manual.
Oh, you could also house a 550EX strobe and that would work.
what housing are you going to use?
-
I shoot with a housed D60 (I have a 10D but it won't fit in the D60 housing) with a single housed 550EX and I think it works pretty well. Usually I shoot in AV mode and set exposure compensation and strobe exp.comp. to taste. It seems to me two strobes would provide much better coverage, I have a second 550 but haven't housed it yet.
One big downside is you can't switch the strobe off once housed, you have to switch it on and leave it. This seems to work just fine (I put it in 'SE' mode) but there are times I want it off, the only option is to just aim it away.
-
Hi Sean can you post some more info on your housed flash?
what housing do you use and how good does the ttl work under water?
Simon
-
I have a UK-Germany D60 housing and their strobe housing for the 550ex. It works pretty well I think. You can check out my web site for pictures I took in Australia last year:
http://www.seanansorge.com/aus
All the u/w shots were taken with this setup. One thing is I use the * button on the back of the camera to auto-focus, not the shutter button. This has a side effect of making the Canon e-ttl work in evaluative mode, making exposure a lot more consistent.