Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

How many DSLR users also carry P&S's?

Started by ce4jesus ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

How many DSLR users also carry P&S's?

11 posts
  1. I'm just wondering how many DSLR users out there carry P&S cameras with them on dive trips and what is the reason? I've got my first really big dive trip planned to the Philippines and the thought crossed my mind to get a small P&S for supermacro.

  2. Do you mean strictly for underwater use? I always take a compact camera so that I can take topside photos and can take pix of everyone on the boat without having to take my big camera out of the housing.

     

    I have a Fuji F30

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. I am with James, the compact i carry with me for topside stuff..

     

    Usually drunken photos in the bar if you haven't noticed already.. :wacko:

  4. I'm just wondering how many DSLR users out there carry P&S cameras with them on dive trips and what is the reason? I've got my first really big dive trip planned to the Philippines and the thought crossed my mind to get a small P&S for supermacro.

     

     

    I do the same, but at this point also a housing as a just in case. My wife shoots my older systems so I have a back up if needed, but she is catching up to me. Looking at the waterproof Olys perhaps as a good boat camera.

     

     

    I am with James, the compact i carry with me for topside stuff..

     

    Usually drunken photos in the bar if you haven't noticed already.. :)

     

     

    Never noticed. Sounds like fun :wacko:

  5. James,

    Yes...I was looking for the answer to the question Do you carry one and what do you use it for and which camera you like. Either topside or underwater.

     

    I am with James, the compact i carry with me for topside stuff..

     

    Usually drunken photos in the bar if you haven't noticed already.. :wacko:

     

    Yes I've noticed but I couldn't figure out if you were the hairy woman in the dress or the folically challenged dude with a bad taste in women.

  6. We have a Canon with a plastic housing and a Majic filter.

     

    Used for top side and as a back up to the big camera!

  7. I also carry my old sony for topside and have a housing just in case. Sometimes I'll even take it on a dive or two for the video mode.

  8. I carry a P&S with housing. Main purpouse being to keep my girlfiend busy when I spend half a dive in one place.

    I also think about it as a backup and topside camera.

     

    I recently replaced my flooded coolpix with Canon G9 and I want to try its movie mode underwater (with magic filter on it).

  9. I like a lot of others I carry a P&S Canon (with Canon's plastic case). It's great to take on the boat and take shots of friends, short movies of dolphins following the boat, just about anything really. And I don't worry about it getting splashed.

     

    Also nice to stick in my pocket when we go out at night for some good blackmail photos..... :wacko:

  10. Also nice to stick in my pocket when we go out at night for some good blackmail photos..... :)

     

     

    Not sure i know what that means.. :glare: :wacko:

  11. We carry an Olympus 5060 and housing. WE have also ordered a magic filter and plan to use the 5060 as a cheap video camera (or in case the whale shark comes by when I have a 105 attached).

     

    Actually, given the cost of some dive trips, I don't plan to sell my d200/ikelite setup when I upgrade to a D-300. That gives me a full dSLR backup plus the 5050.

     

    If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

     

    Tom

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.