Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Unknown slug

Started by Pedda ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Unknown slug

4 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I hope that there is someone on this forum that can help me to identify this small slug.

     

    The pictures are taken at 4 meters depth at Grand Hotel lagoon in Hurghada, Egypt

     

    Regards

     

    Peter

    post-2796-1202577848_thumb.jpg

    post-2796-1202578267_thumb.jpg

  2. Its a Nudi. I have several pictures of it from Lembeh when I was there last month. Don't have my Nudi book with me but they are in it right at the end of one of the chapters. 1001 nudis.

  3. It's a common opisthobranch (not a nudibranch), Philinopsis pilsbryi. The basic pattern is brown lines forming open circles on a white background. This page from the Sea Sug Forum shows several color variants. http://www.seaslugforum.net/showall.cfm?base=philpils

     

    All the sea slugs are opisthobranchs. Nudibranchs are a subset of animals in the group which completely lack shells and most of which have gills which extend out of the body. Nudibranch actually means "naked gill".

    Edited by Leslie
  4. I stand corrected.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.