Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Pool practice?

Started by tjgreen ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Pool practice?

6 posts
  1. It's a bit too cold to dive here (or anyway, too cold for my blood), so was looking at doing some pool practice. To be honest though, I'm not really sure what a pool practice session looks like. I don't have any cooperative models, and it's a pretty barren environment. Any suggestions for things to work on that translate to the reef/wreck?

  2. I go into the pool often. I use a dive shop that has constructed "artificial reefs" made of milk crates weighted down with dive weights. They are decorated with sponges, pieces of coral, plastic critters and all sorts of other stuff. Make sure the colors are mixed with white to work on exposure settings. It is some of the best practise you will have. No pressure to find great subjects, just practise practise practise.

     

    It is also good to practise bouyancy skills while shooting.

  3. Go to the toy store and buy some plastic macro subjects.

    Anchor a dark towel on the bottom to reduce the glare and shoot!

  4. Practicing buoyancy, and getting comfortable with controls on the housing.

  5. Thanks for the suggestions. I should qualify - I'm looking for photo-related suggestions, though buoyancy practice never hurts.

     

    Allison, Okuma, are there any "photo drills" you use? Different strobe positions, etc.?

  6. I'm getting ready to take the new rig in the pool to check out WA lens port combinations. Is there a slick way to hang something in the pool to serve as a good reference. I've noted Stephen using what looks like a big sheet of linoleum. Not sure my dive shop (heated pool) would understand. Any other suggestions? Like Tim I also want to see what the new strobes will do. We have a fake plastic "reef" to shoot for practice and I've planned on taking down some plastic flowers to practise macro. I'm also thinking about getting one of those wide up fish to practice handling the camera with a moviing target. I'm probably over thinking this but It's passing for fun until I can get to warm water. :D

     

    Steve

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.