Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Small Hawaii Octopus

Started by jkane ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Small Hawaii Octopus

9 posts
  1. Does anybody have any information on this octopus? It was shot on a night dive at 30 ft and soon buried itself in the sand. With arms extended it was probably no more than 5" in diameter. The photo was used on page 232 in Mark Norman's "Cephalopods, A World Guide" published in 2000, and was characterized then as "known only from Hawaii...recently discovered...currently being described". I recently tried to contact Dr. Norman by email at University of Melbourne but received no reply. Not sure but I could have used an invalid address.

     

    Any info on this octopus would be appreciated.

     

    Jerry

     

     

    post-6480-1202957952_thumb.jpg

  2. It looks like a light coloured veined octopus (O. marginatus).

     

    Maybe it is a Hawaiian version of that?

     

    Alex

  3. I agree that it looks like marginatus. They bury themselves in the sand.

     

    1269646738_b67c48e97f_o.jpg

     

    A pissed off adult

     

    1269671830_c8b5941f7f_o.jpg

     

    It is not unusual for them to "blanch" when startled.

    Edited by AllisonFinch
  4. I recently tried to contact Dr. Norman by email at University of Melbourne but received no reply. Not sure but I could have used an invalid address.

    Jerry,

     

    I have a feeling that the anti-spam systems of many institutions (such as University of Melbourne) are extremely tight and the emails often don't get through. I frequently get no replies from such folk (or when I get a reply the subject has "possible spam" included).

     

    I met Mark about 18 months ago on a dive trip. He's very approachable and I'm sure he'd be interested in the photograph. By the way, I also emailed him after the trip with some links to photographs I took of cuttlefish during my honours year back in 1981. I also never got a reply and he'd asked for the photos so I didn't take it personally. ;)

     

    I don't know what else to suggest as far as contacting him other than perhaps trying again and making sure you have a meaningful subject and don't send from a hotmail type account.

    Edited by ATJ
  5. Jerry,

     

    I have a feeling that the anti-spam systems of many institutions (such as University of Melbourne) are extremely tight and the emails often don't get through. I frequently get no replies from such folk (or when I get a reply the subject has "possible spam" included).

     

    I met Mark about 18 months ago on a dive trip. He's very approachable and I'm sure he'd be interested in the photograph. By the way, I also emailed him after the trip with some links to photographs I took of cuttlefish during my honours year back in 1981. I also never got a reply and he'd asked for the photos so I didn't take it personally. :)

     

    I don't know what else to suggest as far as contacting him other than perhaps trying again and making sure you have a meaningful subject and don't send from a hotmail type account.

     

    Ok, thanks for the info and suggestions. I did just get a note from Charles Delbeek at Waikiki Aquarium suggesting I contact Crissy Hufford who evidently was involved in the collection/description of the octopus. I'm waiting for Charles to provide Crissy's email. I'll post any info on the octopus that I'm able to get.

     

    Aloha

     

    Jerry

  6. Alex and Allison are on the right path - I just learned that the small Hawaii octopus is a relative of marginatus, and it was described in 2005 and named Amphioctopus arenicola by Christine Huffard & F.G. Hochberg of University of California at Berkeley and Santa Barbara respectively. It is also known as short-armed sand octopus. Ms. Huffard's email to me follows:

     

     

     

    Hi Jerry,

     

    Great to hear from you. Yes- I recognize the picture- a fantastic one. This is indeed Amphioctopus arenicola. We got the description out just weeks too late to get the name into Hoover's Inverts field guide. Compared to other night-active octos in Hawaii you can most easily identify A. arenicola by its fairly short arms, tan color with dark scribbles in the grooves of the skin, granular skin, unbranched skin flaps (papillae) on the body, and habitat. Just like you observed they do bury into the sand. They're relatives with the coconut octopus, although I haven't been able to get them to walk, but keep an eye out- you never know! There's also a long-armed sand octopus that's active at night, but we've found this on open sand in deeper waters (about a 45 min surface swim out from far Kahe). Based on the few I've found, A. arenicola likes grainier sand with a little rubbles/pebbles- the same habitat as the stomatopod Odontodactylus brevirostrus. We're still working on getting enough specimens to describe the long armed sand octo. It's proving to be an elusive beast.

     

    Happy diving and feel free to drop an email any time you have questions about Hawaiian octos!

     

    Take care,

    Crissy

  7. Mark Norman works at Museum Victoria I believe.

  8. Hi Jerry,

     

    I think we were in touch about this one, but just in case- Charles was right- it's Amphioctopus arenicola- the Hawaiian short-armed sand octopus

     

    happy diving!

    Crissy

     

    Ok, thanks for the info and suggestions. I did just get a note from Charles Delbeek at Waikiki Aquarium suggesting I contact Crissy Hufford who evidently was involved in the collection/description of the octopus. I'm waiting for Charles to provide Crissy's email. I'll post any info on the octopus that I'm able to get.

     

    Aloha

     

    Jerry

  9. Hi Crissy. Yes, you did help me on this little guy...mahalo!

     

    Jerry

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.