Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Canon patent details biometric watermarking

Started by 3@5 ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon patent details biometric watermarking

8 posts
  1. there's an article on imaging resource here:

    Imaging Resource Article

    where Canon have patented a way to watermark photos with biometric data.

    copyright inserts in our photos may soon be a thing of the past :D

    happy reading

    /paul

  2. there's an article on imaging resource here:

    Imaging Resource Article

    where Canon have patented a way to watermark photos with biometric data.

    copyright inserts in our photos may soon be a thing of the past :D

    happy reading

    /paul

    Can't say I'd like my biometric data on my photographs; embedded copyright is just fine thanks.

  3. I am guessing the 'Biometric Data' goes in the background meta data somewhere.

     

    And to me it looks like the biometric info just goes to determining who is using the camera, so once a profile is set up the camera then basically just puts the photographers name in the meta data ?

     

    i think that sounds cool ... next they'll have DNA testing on the camera grip !

  4. Does that mean it will put my body mass index into each of my photos? I better lose some weight!

     

    James

  5. The biometric data will also contain the frequency to the chip implanted in your arm. Anyone viewing the photo will also know where you are.

  6. Can't say I'd like my biometric data on my photographs; embedded copyright is just fine thanks.

     

    Agree on that no matter how cool my techno side finds this idea.

  7. The biometric data will also contain the frequency to the chip implanted in your arm. Anyone viewing the photo will also know where you are.

    Yeah George,

    Your wife would like that! :D

  8. I don't see this as an especially exciting development. Those who seek copyright protection already have a means to claim it. This seems to tie an image to an individual who may not actually be the copyright holder. If this were in my camera I'd disable it. If it could not be disabled, that would tell you a lot about its true purpose.

     

    Nevertheless, I'm never excited to see any company patent anything. It's a sad game in a broken system that all companies must play in order to survive.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.