Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Canon G7 or SD850 (hopefully correct this time)

Started by colinm85 ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon G7 or SD850 (hopefully correct this time)

3 posts
  1. Hi - New to the forum. Over the past few years, I've been using an old Canon A70 to take pictures while snorkeling, mostly in the Caribbean. It works fine, but has some disadvantages, particulalry the shutter lag. Decided to upgrade, and stay with Canon since I like their products. Narrowed it down to the G7 or SD850 - I know there are later models available, but I can get either of these thru a rewards program, so they would be free - quite an advantage I think. Anyway, wondered if anyone could provide any advice. Thanks

     

    Colinm85

  2. i like full control and retro look of g7, cant go wrong with it in my opinion. no idea on 850, not seen it.

     

    welcome to wp

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  3. I'm pretty new to UW photography myself, but I've been using the Canon SD 800 IS which I assume is the recent predecessor of the 850. It's really kinda apples and oranges in one sense. The SD 850 is a true compact point and shoot without alot of options whereas the G7 has full manual controls which is what you want if you're interested in maybe progressing further with your photography. With that said, you can take some great shots with the compact once you get to know how it thinks. I took these with the SD 800, an Inon external strobe and (sometimes) a Inon wide angle wet mount lens using the pre-set "underwater" mode:

     

    http://gallery.mac.com/philsokol#100023

     

    (most of these have been cropped and had some post-processing, at least what iphoto will let you do)

     

    The other advantage to the SD is it fits easily in a pocket for topside use. Underwater, the shutter delay can be maddening. The G7's been supplanted by the G9, so it's last year's technology, but from my readings, that camera has a loyal and devoted following. I've never used it, but that series is the top of the line for the Canon point and shoots. More controls, more variables - if you're willing to deal with that and learn, probably a better choice in the long run.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.