I've been doing some digging on the web and I can't seem to find the answer to my question. Which is: how do the symbiotic pairs we know and love as divers find each other in the first place?
I mean anemonefish can swim, I get that, but then again certain ones are only found in certain types of anemones. And, what about a whip coral shrimp or a pygmy seahorse? Maybe I'm wrong, but I would assume that they drift in a larval state, but how the hell do they ever find a whip coral or sea fan to inhabit?
Is it all just dumb luck? Do they just go with the current, until they happen to bump into their specific host? Or is there something more going on here?
I for one would like to know. I hope some of our members that are more enlighten on this subject can help me out with this one.
Thanks,
Doug