Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Mating Hamlets?

Started by cor ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Mating Hamlets?

13 posts
  1. hi all, we found several hamlet pairs today and we're going to try and get some mating shots. What would be the best time to head out? Im thinking about 1 hour before sunset?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Cor

  2. Hey Cor,

     

    I always hit the water when the gap between the sun and the horizon is the same as the width of my hand (when held up with my arm outstretched) - about 45 minutes before the official local sunset time. This usually also gives enough time to swim out to the reef.

     

    Alex

  3. Ok, thats what I figured. It's a bit of a swim so we'll probably get in early. Thanks!

     

    Cor

  4. The actual mating tends to happen about 15 minutes before the sun sets, but you need about 30 minutes to find a couple and get them used to your presence. So Alex is spot on.

    Soon you will learn the movements preceding the instant of the mating and be ready for the shot.

    Have fun !

  5. The actual mating tends to happen about 15 minutes before the sun sets, but you need about 30 minutes to find a couple and get them used to your presence. So Alex is spot on.

    Soon you will learn the movements preceeding the instant of the mating and be ready for the shot.

    Have fun !

    post-6375-1204050131_thumb.jpg

  6. We found some pairs already, and we're hoping and assuming they stay close to their territory. Unfortunately it's around 70 feet deep, so we're a bit limited in time especially since we dont have nitrox here. We'll probably go out Thursday and see what happens.

     

    So they generally move around a lot?

     

    Cor

  7. Hi,

    I did some work on hamlets and their behaviour, hybrids, etc...

    As far as I know they tend to be quite independent during the day and about one hour before sunset they look for a partner and they spend some time feeding just before the mating. Mating can happen several times in the last few minutes of daylight, before they split and retire.

    Be ready to look around, as those occasional daytime pairs can be different than the mating partners, and they can move in a relatively large territory. I have seen them changing dinner partners just before the mating act, mostly when different species find a similar species at last minute... they prefer equals !

     

    Let us know how it goes

  8. It turned out to be relatively easy. Nothing like dragonets :rolleyes: We went out tonight and found at least 4 different species. It was quite easy getting mating shots. They were not bothered at all by my presence, and the pair I photographed mated over 10 times.

     

    Thanks for the tips!

     

    Cor

  9. My very first mating hamlet image, when they went up the first time. Slightly cropped as I didnt realize I could get so close. Taken with a 105mm. We'll probably head back out a few times this week.

     

    hamlet.jpg

     

    Cor

  10. Excellent stuff, Cor. Look forward to seeing more.

     

    Alex

  11. Great stuff Cor - I love hamlets! I got to photograph some of these with Alex once and had a blast. Another timem, I was in Florida and spotted a pair of the electric blue ones (can't remember the name) getting ready to spawn. Luckily for me, I was sporting a 12-24mm lens at the time. :-) There's a photo of Eric with the spawning hamlets in the foreground somewhere on my site :-)

     

    Carlos - welcome to Wetpixel - great to see you posting on here.

     

    Cheers

    James

  12. Thanks James !

    Good job Cor,

    BTW, where are you diving for hamlets?

  13. St Croix, USVI. On our last dive we saw at least 4 species. We were looking for the most colorful one we saw on a day dive, but we couldnt find them anymore. So next dive hopefully :rolleyes:

     

    Cor

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.