Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Use of UV filter inside housing

Started by Torbjorn ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Use of UV filter inside housing

4 posts
  1. When placing a camera inside a housing, would it matter if the typically used UV filter for lens protection is still mounted on the lens...? Or would it be better to remove the UV filter to avoid reflex problems inside a glass port/dome..?

     

    Would appreciate a view on this..?

     

     

    Cheers

     

    Torbjorn

  2. The only reason I can think of for using a U/V filter on an underwater set-up is to protect the lens from impact or crud. The down side is possible flare (light reflection) on that filter. I do not use U/V filters on lenses in an underwater housing. That's my much devalued two cents worth.

     

    Pax V

  3. Thanks Pax V

     

    Torbjorn

  4. Myself I would take it off - there are enough 'extra' boundaries between the subject and the ccd underwater without adding another.

     

    Also for instance on my Ike port for the 60mm macro there is not sufficient room (clearance) to leave on the uv filter that I use topside for protection of the front element.

     

    Paul C

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.