Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Color Correction Help

Started by tomol ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Color Correction Help

4 posts
  1. Looking for some guidance. The picture below is a section of an uncorrected shot of some local purple coral. Would I be on the right track if I tried to make the shadows more neutral instead of green? Since I've never seen this stuff out of the water, I don't know what to shoot for.

    post-8062-1203986272_thumb.jpg

  2. Looks like California hydro coral.

    I'd leave it alone.

  3. I take it this was shot under "mixed" light, flash and ambient. Looks a bit like the shadows are being "filled" by blue ambient light. One way to fix this when shooting is to raise the shutter speed (not above flash sync speed though!) so less ambient light is recorded, but your shadows will be darker. One way to have detail in the shadows (that is the correct colour) would be to fill the shadows with a second strobe; or place the strobe closer to the subject and using a bigger/softer diffuser might also help.

     

    This seems to have become more of an issues nowadays, both underwater and above. I have a friend who shoots people at corporate functions, where blue light is coming in through windows, there is green fluorescent light, yellow tungsten and white flash all mixed together. He said now he shoots digital, colour balancing skin-tones is more difficult that shooting on film, as each of the different casts records more obviously on digital.

  4. Thanks for the help. Yes, it is a California organism, and I think it's our only hard coral. It was shot at 1/200 on shutter priority, ISO 200. I can't realistically add another strobe. I freedive exclusively, and dragging what I have up and down through 70 feet is hard enough. Adding a a second strobe will be a bit much. I'll try boosting the shutter speed, add a diffuser and get a little closer next time.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.