Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Barracudas - art imitates art imitates life!

Started by bmyates ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Barracudas - art imitates art imitates life!

5 posts
  1. In part to get my mind off the Shear Water shark drama (which has almost overwhelmed me emotionally the past two days), I thought I'd share something on the MUCH lighter side...

     

    About a month ago, I got an e-mail from a promising young painter named Gary Carpentier, politely asking if he could use one of my photos (a school of barracudas) as the model for a new painting, which he then intended to have made into nice giclee prints. First of all, I was impressed that he bothered to ask, and as a non-professional, I was flattered that he considered the photo worth painting.

     

    Anyway, I gave him permission, asking only that I be given credit where appropriate and that I get one of the prints. He agreed and promptly went to work on the painting which can be seen below (with a Coke can for size perspective).

     

    Barracuda%20school%20facing%20up.jpg

     

    Schooling%20barracuda%20painting.jpg

     

    If you'd like to see more of Gary's work (he's just starting to get into uw subjects - he's obviously a motorcyclist, another thing we have in common), you can see it on his website .

     

    Anyway, I just thought it was a fun use of one of my photos. ;) I guess you just never know who's going to see/be interested in one of your photos... :)

  2. First of all, I was impressed that he bothered to ask, and as a non-professional, I was flattered that he considered the photo worth painting.

     

    Anyway, I just thought it was a fun use of one of my photos. ;) I guess you just never know who's going to see/be interested in one of your photos... :)

     

     

    Very nice job, and very cool that he asked permission like that. Good job all around from photo to painting

  3. Great Bruce, hope you guys can collaborate on a bunch more.

  4. That is a great idea, Jeff.

     

    Bruce, you should ask the artist for types of shots he would like to paint and then go out and try and shoot them. Could lead to some very different images.

     

    Alex

  5. I like what the artist did! It looks so much better than similar-style Photoshop "conversions". I also think that Alex is on to something. I personally find that those of you pros that seem to visualize potential images more as art objects tend to come up with much more stunning images than those of us (like myself) that simply try to have the image accurately reflect what we see. IMO it's that ability to visualize what an image might become that can set the photgraphic "artist" apart from the crowd.

     

    Holger

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.