I am 'newish' to underwater photography, and I find that I shoot LOTS of pictures, with the intention that I will get at least 1 (please!) good photo from each dive....
I try to remember settings, F stops etc etc.... but when you are a beginner there is so much other stuff to worry about... did I switch the flash on? Buoyancy....and where did my subject disappear to when I took my eyes of it for that fraction of a second....
Soooo when I finally get back to review my shots how do I manage them?
I firstly review in the nice little programme that Microsoft provides with my computer, and delete everything that I know I don't want....(I can always go and rummage thru the trash can later if I get rid of something I later need
). The quick review, and fast delete function are much easier to use than Photoshop or Paintshop Pro.
By the way - love the Paint Shop Pro! It's inexpensive, it does not 'blind you with science' like Photoshop, and the smart enhance picture function is a great way for beginners to start playing with contrast, colour etc.... The presets are cool too. Great product - I have both Paintshop Pro and Photoshop, and I much prefer Paintshop.
I then make sure that I use a naming convention for my files that will help me find them later - I use the date to start with. Year, month, day, followed by title, Wide Angle or Macro then title . 080229 - 01 WA - The Wall so on and so forth, and then if i want to really edit I stick a version number on the end 080229 - 01 WA - The Wall v01 Lastly I back up my files to my 180 gig back up drive......
....well OK in a perfect world this is what I would do! I try to keep to this method, but I work between a number of computers, and I have a business to run too!
I would also recommend finding a place to show off your work, I like the Sport Diver community pages! So even if you did have a major computer melt down at least you have a lasting reminder of your photographic triumphs!
Loosing a picture can be heart breaking, especially if you have a low res copy that someone else wants a hi res version of! So use a filing system for your photos that you can easily remember, get rid of unwanted images (or keep a separate folder for images that are too good to dump but not good enough to show off yet!), and finally keep a back up!
Kay Wilson,
St. Vincent and the Grenadines