Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Supermacro in the surge - any advice?

Started by vetdiver ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Supermacro in the surge - any advice?

9 posts
  1. So, I was out yesterday in the kelp - attempting to get some supermacro shots (100 mm macro lens + Macro Mate)...and let's just say the surge was - um - unpleasant. I could barely stay in one place long enough to get the camera to focus. I got a grand total of 30 shots, maybe 1 a keeper (and even then, only because I am stubborn). Very sad results for a 2-tank trip. Am I missing something, or is this a difficult situation for ANYONE? I have only used this setup once before, and I got a couple of beautiful shots, but I did have to wedge myself into the rocks, now that I think of it.

     

    Any tips? The only one I got yesterday was - "I move the nudibranch to a less surgey place, like under an overhang, and then shoot." I'd rather not be relocating wildlife...

     

    Thanks, and happy diving -

     

    Allison

    Edited by vetdiver
  2. Hi Allison

     

    The deeper you go and further away from the rocks/wall the surge subsides, so on day like that I either dont go shallow till the last min or give up trying to get the shot. I concentrate on keeping my rig away from the rocks and my body parts away from the sea urchins.

     

    When it's really bad I leave the camera on the boat.

     

     

    Spen

  3. ick...I'm amazed you found anything in that 2 foot vis we had yesterday. When its really surgy out, I just leave the camera topside or try and find stuff that moves with the surge to take pictures of (i get a lot of fish portraits that way). Then its just a matter of changing your settings so you dont have the gross motion blur in the background, granted you'll have to take off the macro mate.

     

     

    If its really bad and I'm diving some place like the shores where all of your pictures are along a ledge your being slammed into, I just give up and enjoy the sights whilst not putting the camera in too much danger.

     

    -Mike

  4. On some days, the conditions don't warrant taking a camera in the water. With really bad surge, macro is nigh impossilbe, especially the ultra macro you were attempting.

  5. I went out one day when there was a fair it of surge. I wanted to practice with my newly acquired macromate lens. I ended up bashing it into a rock and putting some chips in the lens :P Fortunately with a supermacro lens the blemishes in the surface are so out of focus that you cannot see them in the images. However, I learned my lesson. It is better to get no images than damage your camera!

  6. Guys -

     

    Thanks - this is kind of what I figured, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing out on some secret. The secret is - wide angle, baby.

     

    Have a great week - Allison

  7. Yup, super macro and surge don't mix.

  8. Just do what I do: get seasick from the surge tossing you around, and throw up. The resulting fish feed gives you great close-up opportunities. Granted, that's not a 2-tank strategy.

     

    In short, no help here either.

  9. Perhaps a sand spike?

     

    http://www.4gdphoto.com/catalog/index.php?...products_id=106

     

    It could help hold the camera steady as you get tossed around. I have only used these with a large point & shoot housing/strobe sets....one hand grips the spike and handle together to keep the camera "steady". I can imagine though that it would be tough to use a viewfinder...

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.