Hi All,
I thought I would share some thoughts about insurance other than on camera equipment. I currently have two modest term life insurance policies and recently got an ad from a professional organization I belong to about joining the group policy. I did some math and decided that the group policy was a much better deal. I figured that once I got the group policy, I could cancel the existing policies. The group policy is with the same carrier as the existing policies.
Let me give you a little background about my condition. I am 45, in good health and in reasonable physical condition. I have no history of serious illness, nor does anyone in my immediate family. I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs. I went through the application process, which included a physical exam by their doctor. All this passed with flying colors. However, I was denied coverage based on my scuba activities.
During my interview, I answered all of their questions truthfully. The asked what was my highest certification (rescue), and how many dives I have done in my lifetime (450). They asked how many dives I did last year (120), and what was the deepest I had ever dived (128ft).
Apparently diving within recreational dive limits, if somewhat enthusiastically, is enough to disqualify me. Oh, and I forgot to mention that one of the term policies in force was taken out after I was certified. This brings me to my questions. Is this typical? Are there companies that are more diver friendly? Was it the number of dives that disqualified me, or the max depth?