Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon S45 vs. S50

Started by BurBunny ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon S45 vs. S50

4 posts
  1. It looks like there are some people here quite familiar with the Canons. I hope you can help with this question.

     

    I'm looking at purchasing either a Canon S45 or S50. Real difference between the two is the S45 is 4MP and the S50 is 5MP. I've read some reports that 5MP cameras tend to have more noise in low light conditions. Of course, down the line I'm looking at getting a fiber optic slave strobe, but not right off (too many toys, too little cash).

     

    Background on why these cameras: I want a compact digital for use topside as well as good pictures UW. I have been shooting with an MX-10 both slide and film. Do want to be able to enlarge to up to 8 x 10 and do often crop. Still on a learning curve from being a snapshot taker to more of a skilled photographer.

     

    Am I reading too much into the low light noise issue on 5MPs? Anything else on the potential downside to a 5MP I should consider which might offset the extra pixels and flexibility that gives me?

     

    Anything else I might be missing in my deliberations? I took into consideration the new Sea & Sea DX3000, but seems silly to invest that much into a 3.2MP camera that reviewers view as mediocre and whose only true stand-out is the almost non-existent shutter lag. Though being able to use my MX-10 lenses would be nice.

     

    Appreciate your input!

  2. It is right, that more MP on the same size of sensor tend to produce more noise but on the other hand Canon also included a new prozessor and claims this is much better in reducing the noise. It would be interesting to see a side by side comparsion, especially at high Iso settings.

     

    Simon

  3. Simon, www.imaging-resource.com has reviewed both cameras, doing similar sample images for both. By pulling up both reviews and going to Sample Images you can see such a comparison. The S45 review can be found here: S45 Review and the S50 is here: S50 Review. These are the reviews which prompted me to ask the question.

     

    Looking forward to additional input and your opinion!

     

    Amber

  4. I cound't find any sign for more Noise in the S50 Images but the Pictures was not vry good for testing this. The Iso 400 series unfotunaly useed different motivs. The Iso400 S50 pic looked like a bit more noise but was also a motive (skin) where you see noise much more than on the S45 Iso 400 pic (A House).

     

     

    Bye Simon

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.