Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Difficulty capturing PAL footage.

Started by peacedog ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Difficulty capturing PAL footage.

6 posts
  1. Allow me to once again be the technical idiot on our fair message board...

     

     

     

    I needed to use a PAL FX-1 while in Australia last year. Now I'm back home and trying to import the footage and having difficulty.

     

    When the GV-HD700 is connected, Final Cut 6 recognizes the deck and lets me command it from the software, but although I'm watching timecode spin by, I get no picture whatsoever and even though it cues properly and runs, I cannot get it to capture anything.

     

    Again, I'm using the Sony HD700, running it through FC Studio 2, and some of my presets are as such:

     

    Capture preset - HDV

    Sequence Preset - HDV 1080i50

    Device Control Preset - HDV Firewire Basic.

     

    I've tried every configuration of PAL/1080i50 settings and I just cannot get the program to recognize it properly.

     

     

    What IS interesting is that I can get the tapes to play through my NTSC FX-1, fully controlled and able to capture through FCP. So, at the risk of sounding like a complete goof, is this a good thing or is my footage coming in ultimately wrong?

     

     

    -A

  2. Any SONY HDV camera can play back a PAL or NTSC tape.

    The PAL recorded tape in your NTSC FX1 is being played back as PAL.

     

    I do find it abit strange that the SONY deck cannot play the PAL tape but then again maybe they built it that way.

     

    Set you project to 1440/1080 50i (PAL) and suck it in with your FX1.

  3. I'd use the settings you've mentioned above and then capture directly from the FX1. On a couple of occasions I've found AIC a little more stable than capturing HDV so that maybe worth a try also.

     

    Cheers, Simon

  4. don't you have a Z1? Just change it to 50i and drop in the tape.. in fact it should recognize it as that anyway and export accordingly..

  5. I believe the GVHD700 is single color system (NTSC or PAL). So it can't playback other systems.

     

    Use your camcorder as the others said.

  6. I'm feeling the love, gents. Thank you all very much.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.