Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

World Awareness of Life Through TV

Started by BlueReef ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

World Awareness of Life Through TV

7 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    Ok so I've been thinking a lot more about this lately. Of course on TV there are nature programs (even whole channels dedicated to it), however, it was mentioned in another post that there are no longer short programs of about 10 minutes. As a marine biologist (if only by degree) I want to see a greater stance with conservation especially with the sea.

     

    I don't know how it would work, but basically I'd like to see government sponsored shorts of about 5-10 mins duration placed on tv in prime spots, such as just after the news etc., showing what fantastic diversity and life we still have left - along with a message (maybe clips of complete devastation).

     

    The Aim? - basically to 'wake up' the average joe. Hoping to spark some kind of concience!

     

    Why this way and not as normal nature programs? - I feel most people who watch nature programs, are already interested and do their bit to some extent already. Here in the UK most nature programs are on BBC2, except the BIG ones that do actually draw a crowd. But it's like a really big book, you kinda want to read it, but just can never be ars~d to pick it up and start - I'm thinking of city workers/accountants (busy people) - ok you can't nail it down to any profession (those who may not watch long programs), but...

     

    ...I do believe if a 5 min program starts right before/after the news or other prime time for example with some totally awe-inspiring footage a lot of people would stay fixated right? could have a little 5min countdown clock in the corner of screen so people know it's not long and stay watching. But with the kind of footage I'm talking about who'd turn it off.

     

    I've always been a fan of the term 'Now you see us, soon you won't - Extinct is Forever' - but does anyone agree with me.

     

    I wouldn't expect people to give footage free of charge (maybe they would), perhaps a subsidy could be given and full credits of course, and if it was charity based / government backed maybe the tv companies would be happy to air them? If anything it would be great get kids interests sparked too.

     

    Well I've talked enough, I think I've got what I intended to say out. Would be great if I could get some feedback or ideas etc.

     

    Thanks.

  2. You mean, like this one?

     

  3. I like Struther's second one more:

     

  4. haha, right, ok , I guess I left myself wide open there! but any serious answers guys;)

     

    thx :rolleyes:

  5. Hi,

     

    Ok so I've been thinking a lot more about this lately. Of course on TV there are nature programs (even whole channels dedicated to it), however, it was mentioned in another post that there are no longer short programs of about 10 minutes. As a marine biologist (if only by degree) I want to see a greater stance with conservation especially with the sea.

     

    I don't know how it would work, but basically I'd like to see government sponsored shorts of about 5-10 mins duration placed on tv in prime spots, such as just after the news etc., showing what fantastic diversity and life we still have left - along with a message (maybe clips of complete devastation).

     

    I think it is an interesting idea, but government sponsorship is not going to be feasible, however getting one of the big oil companies or other industrial guys might work. The fundamental problem at least as I see it is that the average joe really doesn't care at all and won't watch unless its sharks eating folks. To those of us "converted" it might be fun, but your average non-diver really doesn't care about the ocean unless the price of shrimp at Sizzler goes up.

  6. The ten minute programs featured at the end of the 50 min 'Natural world' programmes on BBC2 were getting some good (for the Uk) viewing figures and were also a good stepping ground for up and coming filmmakers.. But they were scrapped due to the unique way the BBC didn't get the funding it wanted... But still went on to give Anne Bleeding Robinson millions for her Weakest crap tv show...

     

    My little ditty had around 2 Million viewers...

     

    I would like to see more of them as well... Conservation or just wildlife.. But I have found through talking to Joe public that Conservation films tend to be treated as 'Tree hugger' films.. And sometimes people feel their having it rammed down their throats so you have to be careful...Although I think they should until they choke or listen...But thats me...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  7. Quote - "And sometimes people feel their having it rammed down their throats "

     

    Yeah, this is something to be careful of indeed. Also I think the other issue is, if you show people how much diversity IS out there they may just think there's no problem.

     

    If there was a message with the programs then I guess it should be a subtle one.

     

    In 'my idea' above I think maybe to try and get away from it looking like a 'conservation' program, even just 2 minute snippets of totally magical events (and yes doesn't have to be just the ocean). So whether the last image of a snippet of an entangled shark, battered seal, or burnt rainforest is a good idea or not I don't know, but perhaps even just 'We're in it together' at the end - hehe something cheesy like that.

     

    bvanant - yeah seems to be the case sometimes, but if we all just 'give up' on Mr Joe the battle is definately lost! I love the old tribes who used to worship the oceans/forests etc - took care of them as they knew their value.

     

    An extreme way would be to all pollute as much as we can in the hope the human race decreases in numbers first. We're more vulnerable than we know, just look what happened here when the gas stations were blockaded! Couldn't even buy milk and bread within 1-2 days! nature will recover and I know I'd be fine :rolleyes: hehe

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.