Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

What makes Olympus so popular over canon & sony?

Started by fuzz ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

What makes Olympus so popular over canon & sony?

10 posts
  1. Just wondering since I see so many advocates for Oly's - is there any qualitative difference between Olys, canon's, & sony's?

     

    I'm looking to pick up a c-4000 & PT-010 housing probably tomorrow & would appreciate any advice/insight!

     

    Thank you.

  2. The choice of Olympus over Sony or Canon for point and shoots is much like Nikon over Canon for dSLRs. There's just more support for Olympus in general than there are for the other two. Yes, there are some technical differences and all, and yes, you'll be able to do ok housing all of them (mostly thanks to Ikelite), but the UW photo community seems to have chosen Olympus to be the defacto standard. It might have something to do with the availability of the PT series of housings as well, since they dramatically lower the price point to get in the water.

     

    As always, just my opinion...

     

    Tom

  3. IMO, early availability of CHEAP pt series housings made the Olympus 3040 so popular despite the fact that it uses a preflash, doesn't do macro, uses smart media, etc, etc.

     

    But it was/is the cheapest entry into underwater digital photography.\

     

    Newer Olympus cameras have eliminated these "problems" finally and now the 5050 will work without preflash, can do close focus for macro called "super macro" and now takes the universal standard - Compact Flash card.

     

    I would avoid the C4000 however, as it is reported that the flash won't fire in "super macro" mode.

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. Here's a shot from the camera that "...doesn't do macro"

     

     

     

    SPTCLNR.JPG

  5. Jeff,

     

    Did you use an add-on macro lens for that shot? If I recall, you used a $300 Inon macro lens to get that shot.

     

    Cheers

    James

  6. You're right, I did use an add on lens for that shot, but it is $185, not $300.

     

    Here's one from a 3040, with no add on lens and no external strobe of the same subject.

     

    coz25cleaner2.jpg

  7. hey James........changing subjects briefly............we are going to SeaSpace next month.........hope we can meet you at one of the workshops..........we're signed up for all three of the digital related ones

     

    Karl

  8. Jeff, that shot with the macro lens is absolutely stunning! Congratulations!

  9. Karl,

     

    Great! I'll be at Seaspace and guess what - I'm one of the Digital Presenters this year! I'll be doing the "Slideshows in the Digital Age" workshop at 2pm both days.

     

    Let's hook up!

     

    Cheers

    James

  10. If I remember correctly the 4000 does not have the faster lens of the 4040 and the 5050. TedJ

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.