I made my first ice dive last weekend and am going again this weekend and thinking about taking my camera (20d in an Ikelite) and wondered if any one had done this or had any tips on things that might need to be done differently in the cold temperatures
- 5Posts
- 5Replies
Read-only discussion
Ice Diving
-
-
I made my first ice dive last weekend and am going again this weekend and thinking about taking my camera (20d in an Ikelite) and wondered if any one had done this or had any tips on things that might need to be done differently in the cold temperatures
I do this all the time. No other way really up here.
My main issue has been small leaks through o-rings after dives if the temps are in the sub -15 centigrade range. The remedy is to avoid pressing the buttons at surface when the o-rings are frozen after a dive.
Also, may people seem to have issues with fogging ports and even some moisture buildup through concensation but I've never seen this mysef. Silica has widely been used to help this.
Oh, and did I mention that the low temps do miracles to battery life...
timo
-
Hey Timo you keep telling me you have no ice when I ask!
Have you still got something going down later in the year trip wise ?
My last trip just fell through and I might get a pass from Shirley as long as she gets a new wood floor for the lounge!
Paul C
-
I do this all the time. No other way really up here.
My main issue has been small leaks through o-rings after dives if the temps are in the sub -15 centigrade range. The remedy is to avoid pressing the buttons at surface when the o-rings are frozen after a dive.
Also, may people seem to have issues with fogging ports and even some moisture buildup through concensation but I've never seen this mysef. Silica has widely been used to help this.
Oh, and did I mention that the low temps do miracles to battery life...
timo
Thanks for the tips, I hadn’t thought about the battery life issue but it makes perfect sense. I am diving wet so it shouldn’t come in to play on short dives.
-
I took my 20D on an ice dive last year and didn't have any problems with the battery (1900mAh) or fogging in my Ike housing. Biggest issue was dragging the rig out on the ice without falling. I carried it out to the hole before putting my tanks on and had someone waiting to handle it post dive. I'd be more concerned with my body if I were diving wet! Good luck