Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

How to keep yourself out of scuba jail...

Started by Drew ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

How to keep yourself out of scuba jail...

14 posts
  1. Like many people here, I get mesmerized by creature behavior and trying to capture a frogfish or rhinopia yawn or a flamboyant cuttlefish strike. That means I don't take my eye off the subject for anything, especially my computer/gas gauges. However, that goes contrary to my desire not to get into deco trouble, and OOA situations.

    For many years, I've been using an often not used setup to alleviate some of these problems. I put my dive computer directly on my rig, tied down so it faces me and gives me the information I need without having to do much more than turn my head. All the while keeping my arms on the rig and ready to shoot. With hoseless computers, they now even have pressure level so I can monitor everything with a glance. It doesn't take long to get used to it so nitrogen narcosis doesn't affect me much.

    Thanks to Ron Boyes for mentioning this in his post and motivating me to write this tip.

  2. oh THAT scuba jail... I thought you were talking about the "do not manipulate/ touch the critters or even look at the coral wrong" scuba jail... :)

     

    but agree, wireless transmitter with your PC either on your wrist or directly in view on a camera rig like you. Wonder how distracting that new Oceanic HUD mask is...

  3. It's actually not very distracting at all the HUD display is just below eye level so a quick glance down is all you need. I don't have one myself, but I got to check it out at the Scuba Show last year and I know one videographer who swears by it.

     

    Given the price is it worth the cost vs. just strapping your DC to your rig? That's going to be up to the individual.

  4. Well I'd still strap a computer on the rig as backup. If the HUD coinks out... at least I don't have to abort.

  5. I'd considered putting my dive watch on a rig arm, with the strap tightened around a cuff of old neoprene or something. Would just give me a time-based indication not Nitrogen or remaining pressure, but usually I've got a good idea of how long I can dive at a given depth, excluding higher than usual exertion due to cold or current, perhaps. (I'm almost always air not NSAT limited anyway).

     

    It would be expensive, but since they now have computers that monitor buddy pressure as well, I guess you could have two computers both tied to the same sensor, one on the rig and one on you (just in case, knock on formica and pray not, you and the rig get separated).

     

    But as much as I liked my watch idea, I have to admit its a cop-out from simply enforcing the self-discipline to keep checking gauges, regardless. Photography should remain secondary to being aware of your dive profile, shouldn't it?

  6. Sure, but having it on the rig means it's more ergonomic to check your NDL or Deco time even.

    My rig is 2 fold. I have a Suunto Vytec wireless on the rig and a hosed Suunto Cobra as a backup. This way I have full backup. Whenever I don't want a wireless xmitter (sharks in baitballs etc) I dive with 2 computers but check the gauge on and off. I know my breathing pretty well and and estimate my own consumption based on depth and excitement level.

  7. I wouldn't recommend this if you don't have a backup computer though - if you have to bail on or lose your rig, you no longer have any indication of your stats...

  8. Sorry for the hijack, but is there an issue with transmitters and sharks/baitballs? I've read about sharks having a strong electrical current sensitivity, didn't think that would imply anything at what I thought the RF power levels were in those wireless doohickeys (and me an RF EE and all...)

  9. I'v heard that the wireless transmitters don't like strobes, like from your buddy's camera. I use an Oceanic DataPro Plus that has large numbers, usually sort of tucked under my arm I can glance at it pretty easily. I think it's good discipline to pull yourself back and look at your dive and profile on a regular basis that way.

     

    Jack

  10. I'v heard that the wireless transmitters don't like strobes

     

    Not sure about other brands, but I dive an Oceanic Atom2 with transmitter and I've had no problems.

  11. With regards to exceeding a dive computer's ND times.

     

    Proceed to 3m and recite the No Decopresssion table limits 50 times before surfacing.

     

    Fred

  12. my computer is on my right arm on the inside on my wrist so that whilst holding something vertical (say a camera tray) the display is facing me. When I'm in shooting mode my right hand is always on the camera while the left focuses strobes. This means that at most points during the dive the distance between my computer and my view finder is no more than a few inches. The only time its not is if I'm swimming over say nothing but sand and hold my camera in a more streamlined position (non-shooting position).

     

    Anything that risks exposure limits be NDL's partial pressures, deco ceilings, etc its usually a good idea to have a non-photographer with you to keep track of you, though in those instances I'm a firm believer that photography should ALWAYS be second to your ability to maintain yourself underwater. Your buddy should only be there just in case you get sidetracked, not so that you can without worry.

     

     

    my $0.02

     

     

    -Mike

  13. Here's an idea... take Adv Nitrox and deco, and stay as long as you want. You can even film on deco.

     

    Nothing like being able to relax and dive until you run out of tape...

  14. Here's an idea... take Adv Nitrox and deco, and stay as long as you want. You can even film on deco.

     

    Nothing like being able to relax and dive until you run out of tape...

     

     

    deco obligations only further complicate things. Now you still have bottom time obligations or else you blow your deco schedule, but a MUCH more complicated accent where you can easily run into more problems simply by having a camera in your hand (if nothing else, its one less hand or something else cluttering your already minimal free space what with stages, bailout, shot lines/reels, and lift bags.

     

    plus you still have OOA emergencies but now if you somehow blow your bottom time, and deplete your air source, you'll tox on your deco gas and its a deadly trip to the surface.

     

     

    Bottom line, pictures are great, but what good are they if you die taking them? are they worth the price? no. Dive first, take pictures second.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.