Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Issues with Coolpix 950

Started by nickdivr ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Issues with Coolpix 950

10 posts
  1. Hi everone,

    I am extremely new to U/W photography and digital even more so. I have had my Nikon Coolpix 950 for about a year and a half now and I am fairly comfortable with it on land (although I don't use manual settings much). What I did notice while using it underwater was that, it would use the strobe some times when I wanted it to but not always the results I had hoped for (i.e. not enough exposure; too much exposure....). At other times, without changing any settings, the flash would not fire (even with plenty of time to cycle) or the camera itself wouldn't fire (usualy displaying a frozen image and refusing to even turn off completely). I also have trouble with TTL and using a color correction lens. Is there a process of learning underwater digital photography from step 1? I started out putting a little fake coral reef in my pool using aquarium plants and coral and trying to understand how it all should work. I am fortunate enough to have that setup to practice with but would love to know where to start. Any input is very much appreciated. We are leaving for Grand Cayman in June and I would like to have a handle on it before we go.

     

    Thanks,

    Nick

  2. What housing and strobe are you using?

  3. The housing is Ikelite and the strobe is a wopping SB400.

  4. Suggest you take a look at this page which mentions a problem with older strobes:

     

    "A single Ikelite SubStrobe usually requires no modification, but we have found a few cameras that lock up after taking one picture, requiring the same modification that is always needed for dual strobes."

     

    http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/c950strobe.html

     

    Also, please send a copy of your post to Ikelite so that Ike can reply here if necessary.

  5. Marscuba analysis is correct. Older sync circuitry will lock up many of the newer cameras. Turn everything off and back on again will usually allow one more picture. Only damage with this process is to your nerves. Update to strobe is available for $35.

  6. Do I need to send it in for the upgrade? I am leaving for Grand Cayman in June and am wondering if I should wait until I get back to have it done. How do I go about setting it up, just call Ikelite?

     

    Thanks,

  7. Simply send to:

     

    Ikelite Underwater Systems

    50 West 33 Street

    Indianapolis, Indiana 46208

     

    Include name, etc and what you want done............

  8. Ike,

    Do you think I would have it back by the end of the month?

  9. We only need it for a few days if you identify it with a "needed by" designation............

  10. I think I'm going to go ahead and send it in before the trip. Thanks Marscuba and Ike for all your help. I can't wait to get it back and start testing. Ike do you know if there is an online manual that will tell me the ins and outs of the using the SB 400? I purchase it from a friend and he gave me all the paperwork he could find but I have very little in how all the settings work.

     

    Thanks again for all your help,

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.