Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Monitor for HDV

Started by diverben ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Monitor for HDV

16 posts
  1. Hoping some one can give me some advice about which monitor to buy to evaluate my footage while on the road.

     

    I have a Canon HX G1, so would ideally like to use the HD SDI, but could also use the component output.

     

    Ideally the monitor would serve as a second NLE monitor as well.

     

    THanks for your ideas.

    post-15708-1205330950_thumb.jpg

  2. Oh... how much money you want to spend? :)

    You can go from $400-$25000. :)

  3. Wags, field monitor looks good, but probably looking at cheaper options.

     

    Drew, any ideas for under $1000

  4. I probably wont require the durability of a professional field monitor, I would be watching footage in the hotel room in the evening, but at the moment I need it in the office as a second computer monitor.

     

    Thanks for your ideas. :)

  5. Ben

    With HD SDI, you are limited to the higher end models which cost over $2k. Is that AU$ or US$... although in a few months they'll be about 1:1 anyhow.

    As a start, do a search for monitors in the forums, it's been covered a lot.

    If you want full raster HD with HD SDI, the Luma series from Sony is a great place to start. Important note: check the monitor resolution to see if it is full raster 1920x1080 at least.

  6. alternatively, some of the newer laptops have 1920x1200 as resolution. With a firewire feed, it's easy to monitor dailies with one computer.

  7. Another way is with the NLE I use it has a little separate HDV capture program called MPEG Capture :)

     

    It will allow you to watch the HDV firewire feed in realtime as you wizz through the tape on your computer at just about any size on your screen.

  8. I think you're PC aren't you wagsy?

     

    I am running FCStudio on a MacBook Pro.

     

    So don't know if I can use MPEG Capture... :)

  9. FCP has a log and capture mode that does the same thing. However, if you want to check focus and color grade etc, it's not adequate.

    A 2nd monitor for the road would mean 17" or less. And you cannot have full raster 1080p with a monitor that small. But it's good enough to judge focus etc.

    If you want one for home, check out some posts made about production monitors a few months back.

  10. Yes I am.

     

    Drew, when it's running and if I enlarge the capture widow full screen, I can quite easy see if the shots are in focus or not. As for checking out the colour, it does that pretty good as well as long as you computer screen is set correctly.

  11. Hoping some one can give me some advice about which monitor to buy to evaluate my footage while on the road.

     

    I have a Canon HX G1, so would ideally like to use the HD SDI, but could also use the component output.

     

    Ideally the monitor would serve as a second NLE monitor as well.

     

    THanks for your ideas.

    These are very handy little unit.

     

     

    High quality 7-inch (16:9) widescreen LCD with a hi-end resolution of 1,157K. i.LINK and HDMI out. Supports both HDV and MiniDV tapes and can also be used as a back-up deck for professional videographers as it can also record HDV1080i/DV signals that are shot to it from an external source.

     

    Features

    Format: HDV / DV SP / DV LP

    LCD panel: 7.0 inch (16:9 widescreen)

    Panel resolution: 1,152K dots 800(H) x 480(V) x 3RGB

    All-scan function

    User-assignable LCD setup profiles: 6 (settings for Brightness, Colour Level, Contrast, Sharpness, Colour, Phase)

     

    Specifications

    Inputs:

     

    - i.LINK (HDV/DV)

    - Video (RCA x1)

    - Audio (RCA x2)

    - S-Video

     

    Outputs:

     

    - HDMI

    - i.LINK (HDV/DV)

    - Component HD/SD (Special D)

    - Video/Audio/S Video (AV Multi-connector)

    - USB

    - Memory Stick Slot

    - Headphone jack

    - Stereo speaker

    - Battery: InfoLITHIUM L / M series

    - DC power inpost-2339-1205376436_thumb.jpg

  12. Drew, when it's running and if I enlarge the capture widow full screen, I can quite easy see if the shots are in focus or not. As for checking out the colour, it does that pretty good as well as long as you computer screen is set correctly.

     

    Wags I was referring to FCP's log and capture window for playback. It's scalable but not full raster as the window has other frames for capture control. During full capture, you can see full raster but that'd defeat the purpose of reviewing if you have to capture. :P

     

    Since Diverben wants a 2nd monitor that is portable but good for color grading etc under $1k, I suggest the Dell 2407WFPHC. For about $600 more, he can have the Samsung XL20, which is a professional monitor for the budget conscious with its own calibrator.

  13. Ar....Drew with the little MPEG Capture program you dont' need to capture the HDV feed to view it. Just push play and there it is and at near on full screen if you want to. For most folks to view stuff on their laptops while on the road like this it would be no problems. Running it at full screen you can certainly see if your shots were un sharp etc and the quality looks exactly like if you were playing a clip from your hardrive. Its a PC program though and it may even run without EDIUS as it's a tiny program all by itself. :P

  14. Drew,

    Thanks for your advice. Both of these monitor look great, and for what you get I think each offer great value for money.

    The 24inch screen is a little large for traveling (especially bearing in mind how much luggage I already carry) but this is a payoff for being able to view the image at full raster.

    My main motivation at the current time is as a monitor upon which to gauge post colour grading, so perhaps I will forgo size limitations...

    Cheers,

    Ben

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.