Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Wetpixel statistics

Started by rodriguezfelix ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Wetpixel statistics

13 posts
  1. What I´m trying to do here is to collect data to create a Wetpixel guide / statistics, about what brands of housings tends to leak / flood more.

     

    Please note that this will not determine by any way the quality of the housing, and for this statistics be more complete, we should know how many housings are on the market, the frequency of use of the housing, the proper care and maintenance giving by the owner, and lots of other factors that affect the proper seal of the artifact itself, and must determine if it was USER ERROR.

     

    Is not fair to say after this poll that this housing or that housing leaks more, but should work as a guide.

     

    That said, there is a third question about the reason of the failure in order to determine a percentage of non manufacturer fault.

     

    Please keep it honest in order to obtain an added value tool.

  2. The way it's now its won't give you any useful information as you already wrote.

    To get a little more informative data you need to add another survey with the same manufactures but with the question: "Name the brand of your never flooded housing:" its will give some idea on the percentage of the flooded items from the total, butt still its incorrect to take this data as is.

    Edited by Arnon_Ayal
  3. what about design inadequacy that has since been fixed in later models.....

  4. Felix,

     

    This poll is statistically flawed from the start........And I'm no numbers expert!

     

    1) You will never get reliable figures on how many housings are in use from manufacturers......

     

    2) People will usually not look in the mirror and admit they don't read instructions, got taught properly how to assemble a rig, plus outright lie to avoid embarrassment. (Human nature, folks.....)

     

    3) Everyone has an opinion based on their "facts" of limited personal experience around all sorts of gear they've owned and maybe a few dive buddies.

     

    Finally: Every time my camera system doesn't produce what I envisioned, whether it be the focus, lighting, handling, I look in the mirror first. Almost 100% of the time it's me who didn't choose a setting, take the time to double check a set up, etc.

     

    Also, too many UW photogs I know aren't very good at adapting themselves to use the great stuff we have available these days to simply make images.

     

    But hey, what do I know? :)

     

    dhaas

  5. I can't participate in this poll because it reguires a negative response. I've owned 4 Aquatica housings and none of them have ever flooded (knocking on wood as I type.) Your poll needs to include those experiences.

  6. To get a little more informative data you need to add another survey with the same manufactures but with the question: "Name the brand of your never flooded housing:" its will give some idea on the percentage of the flooded items from the total, butt still its incorrect to take this data as is.

     

    I agreed but I don´t find the way to edit the poll... only the text, maybe some help here? any mods?

     

    1) You will never get reliable figures on how many housings are in use from manufacturers......

     

    But adding the option "never flooded or leaked" we can determined an universe or a sample. I mean, if 200 persons response as "never" and 150 actually have a flood or a leak, you have an universe of 350 answers and there you have some comparative numbers.

     

    2) People will usually not look in the mirror and admit they don't read instructions, got taught properly how to assemble a rig, plus outright lie to avoid embarrassment. (Human nature, folks.....)

     

    Curiosly 1/3 of the people who answer the poll (as of I´m writing this) had answer "User Error"...

     

    3) Everyone has an opinion based on their "facts" of limited personal experience around all sorts of gear they've owned and maybe a few dive buddies.

     

    Personal Experience is what we are looking for, otherway you will never have any data on floods or leaks... It´s not perfect but is what we have.

     

    I can't participate in this poll because it reguires a negative response. I've owned 4 Aquatica housings and none of them have ever flooded (knocking on wood as I type.) Your poll needs to include those experiences.

     

    I´m trying to add "NEVER" as an option...

  7. It would probably also follow that the more popular housings (I'm guessing Ike due to their lower price point) would experience more issues simply because more people are using them.

  8. I agree with the other posters who've suggested adding a 'never flooded' category. And it would also be good to allow multiple housings. I've had several brands and the only one that has ever flooded was the Ikelite (extraordinarily dumb user error).

     

    The number of dives with or with out a flood would be good to know too. My Sea&Sea has never flooded but it only has 10 dives on it. On the other hand my old Subal N90 housing had well over a 100.

     

    The fact that I went over a 100 dives without shooting myself in the foot housing wise is proof of the old statement that it's better to be born lucky than smart.

     

    Luke

  9. what about design inadequacy that has since been fixed in later models.....

     

    To me that is a total manufacturer fail... they fixed it later, but still a failure of design.

     

    Still can´t modify poll´s questions... any help here will be appreciated.

  10. I think all you will determine with this poll is which housing model is the most popular. Looking at the current results, the Ikelite has flooded more often than any other brand. Could that be because there are probably 10 times as many Ike's as any other model simply because of cost?

     

    This would be like asking all the people with Ford pickups and Ferraris to click on a button if their windshield wipers don't work. You might not get *any* Ferrari owners to respond, but does that mean they have better windshield wipers?

     

    JP

  11. does that mean they have better windshield wipers?

    In fact, probably yes, although the poll may not be trustable.

     

    A product is normaly cheaper than other for some reason. And this is normaly related to materials, spending done in design and checking, etc.

     

    I own an Ikelite housing, and I would recommend them because the product is fair considering the price, and because the customer service quality is outstanding. But I realize that the port system could be more fool proof. My Ikelite housing has flooded, and it was my fault. But the port system design made it easy for me to make a mistake.

  12. My Ikelite housing has flooded, and it was my fault. But the port system design made it easy for me to make a mistake.

     

    This is an excellent point and one that is true of all housings. Many "user" errors could be avoided with smarter/more robust designs.

  13. You would need to know how many different housings were owned by all the viewers of this question. You would then need to know how many dives were made with each housing. Comparing that information with the reported leaks or floods might be of some value.

     

    Due to their cost I'll bet the fewest # of dives were made with Seacam housings. So I'll bet you get the least # of leaks with a Seacam. That information would not give you much reliable information about which housing type floods the most.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.