Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
Render times
Started by Jules (Helioxfilm) ·
- 6Posts
- 6Replies
Read-only discussion
Render times
-
-
Well seems you are screaming for an octo-core Gyula. Either that or you have really added too many filters to Motion

-
Well seems you are screaming for an octo-core Gyula. Either that or you have really added too many filters to Motion

Hah, I have just created a nice, 22000 pixel long 3D corridor with 3 video walls (with replicators), animate a camera with two attached spot-lights during the long corridor, and what made this terrible render time was: a 22000 pixel long snow particle system in 3D space...
This is my Ships-DVD's main menu intro... However, now the window sais: 6 hours passed, 8 hours to go... 
What makes me angry, Motion use only 100% processor power from 400%... Why? I searched the net, and found similar complains in the CreativeCow or in a Barefeats test... Apple designed the Mac Pro and the Motion. Why did not optimized them to work together?
-
What makes me angry, Motion use only 100% processor power from 400%... Why? I searched the net, and found similar complains in the CreativeCow or in a Barefeats test... Apple designed the Mac Pro and the Motion.
Hopefully Apple will take care of some of the issues between Leopard, the new machines and Final Cut Studio. I love the new set-up but it does have some hiccups and things to improve. Not sure how much re-writing of code is needed to get the Apps able to hit all the Cores and some of the clustering does leave something to be desired also.
-
The problem with Motion is a lot of the number crunching is done on the GPU. And apple has yet to release proper drivers for ATI and Nvidia for the cross from Active X to Open GL.
Another issue is that Color uses all cores.... sequentially!!! I think Motion probably does that too but I'm too lazy to check. AE is my baby for compositing.
-
Drew, for AE take a look at Nucleo Pro 2, it really helps render times and offers background renders and a bunch more. Apple is always slow to fix things. I still won't install Leopard in my Mac Pro tho I have it in my Mac Book with no issues as yet. There are also problems reported concerning the 1900 video card and Leopard which Apple is aware of but no fixes as yet.
Steve B)