Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

cleaning backscatter for WPOY competition

Started by Undertow ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

cleaning backscatter for WPOY competition

8 posts
  1. Hi guys,

     

    The rules for the WPOY say "minor cleaning work" on digital photos is allowed, but would like to know people's opinions about cleaning a pic with some heavier backscatter. I'm talking at least 50 specs and a few larger blobs shot in low vis. Does cloning this out constitute minor cleaning work?? Curious if anyone's ever gotten clarification on this matter.

     

    I'm hoping to get an answer asap as I must post my entries tomorrow (i know of online entry, but am including a couple slides). Cheers,

     

    Chris

  2. Hi Chris,

     

    I have always taken "minor cleaning work" to mean the removal of sensor dust or scratches on transparencies. I am not convinced it allows much to be done about backscatter. In the end I have always avoided entering shots that would require significant cleaning.

     

    I would also add that the judges of this competition are not that worried about backscatter. They are land photographers (in the most part) and seem to quite like underwater images to look underwatery - and a bit of backscatter is part of that.

     

    Alex

  3. thanks Alex, i'd say that's very sound advice. i will leave the backscatter, its not horrible anyways.

     

    my edited & printed copy had been cleaned, so the original looked dirty by comparison... won't matter anyways, i don't quite have your talents. thanks and good luck. cheers

     

    chris

  4. Anecdote,

     

    One judge at a world-famous u/w photo competition insisted that it was impossible to take u/w pictures without backscatter and anything missing the "snowstorm" effect was manipulated...

     

    Imagine, this person was, indeed, a diver... and very stubborn...

     

    No comment!

     

    Michel

  5. Anecdote,

     

    One judge at a world-famous u/w photo competition insisted that it was impossible to take u/w pictures without backscatter and anything missing the "snowstorm" effect was manipulated...

     

    Imagine, this person was, indeed, a diver... and very stubborn...

     

    No comment!

     

    Michel

     

    Sounds like i got loads of worthy shots then.................

  6. Sounds like i got loads of worthy shots then.................

     

    :lol: Me too!

  7. :lol: Me too!

     

    Pity they don't do video...I got tapes and tapes of fish hidden by silt..!!!!

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  8. Pity they don't do video...I got tapes and tapes of fish hidden by silt..!!!!

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

    If only my polar bear in a snow storm photo had been underwater...I would have a completely white winner.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.