Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Image downloader for OSX

Started by cor ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Image downloader for OSX

7 posts
  1. Hi all, my wife bought me a macbook pro for my bday. So now im going to have to be a macboy for a while. Ive got almost everything working, but there's one tool I really..REALLY miss, Downloader Pro.

     

    Can any of the Mac gurus here suggest a replacement for DL Pro? Some of the features I consider a must:

     

    - auto-download on card insert

     

    - elaborate file naming (i need to be able to use: Virgin Islands/20080318/CB_20080318_4532.NEF, where 4532 is the camera assigned number and the date fields are auto-generated)

     

    - multi-camera support. With that I mean that if I insert a card from camera1 I have a different file path than if I use camera2).

     

    example:

     

    Underwater/Cor/Virgin Islands/20080318/CB_20080318_4532.NEF (from my UW camera)

    Underwater/Julie/Virgin Islands/20080318/JME_20080318_6527.NEF (from julie's camera)

    Land/Virgin Islands/20080318/LAND_20080318_7657.NEF (from my spare land camera)

     

     

    - ability to ingest an existing directory on the computer as if it were a card.

     

    Thanks for any tips,

     

    Cor

    Edited by cor
  2. Cor - I haven't found anything quite as good as Downloader Pro. I use Photo Mechanic, which does a subset of what Downloader Pro does, and I just live with the lack of features. It does *almost* everything DLPro does, but does not have fancy filepath support.

     

    Also, I'm not sure if it does multi-camera support other than allowing you to use EXIF variables in image names. Perhaps you can set your owner field and use that in your filename.

     

    Or, you can run DLPro in VMWare/Parallels. :D

  3. I find that the photo downloader in Bridge CS3 is pretty flexible. It can name the directory and files with numerous permutations of date, image number, custom name, etc. You can also have it convert to DNG during the download. You can't use EXIF variables, but I don't need THAT level of flexibility. It is limited however to devices. You can't set the import target to a directory.

  4. It looks like ImageIngester Pro does quite a decent job. It's not DL Pro, but getting there. I can actually do everything DL Pro does, to a degree.

     

    I cant have it create a path based on camera owner, but it does allow a macro 'serialnumber', so thats almost as good (I think DL Pro basically aliases the serialnumber to a string you can set). So now I can at least say:

     

    Virgin Islands/53232233/20080318/..........

    Virgin Islands/43443555/20080318/..........

     

    for 2 different serial numbers.

     

    It allows a lot of macros based on EXIF info, which is nice as well. It does seem to make the apple come to a screeching halt.

     

    Ok, so now a followup question... in my windows laptop I had a PCMCIA based card reader. Extremely handy. So what is a really fast card reader for macbooks?

     

    Cor

  5. cor,

    on my MBP i run downloader pro in parallels; it works very well and that way i did not have to change anything in my download flow.

    for card reader i use the following

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/...ies/cards.shtml

    sandisk extreme reader plugged into fw 800. it's really quite fast

  6. Cor -- I agree. Use a Sandisk Extreme FW800 card reader. It's $80, but it will copy at 40MB/s from UDMA-enabled CF cards.

     

    For SD, I use a Expresscard34 18in1 adapter from Apiotek. Just make sure the one you get is SDHC compatible. :D

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.