I originally decided to dump this tip because I felt it was too program specific and required the purchase of Final Cut Studio. So I decided to cut it really short and just show the results with a bit of tutorial for general color correction. This clip is of a H. Denisi taken at 21m in greenish algae water at 1080/24P, 1/48 +3db. I had an idea of what color the Annella Sp of fan looked like since I had lights on a previous dive.
To get the color correction going, I boosted the red levels up across the entire image then used a curve to control the red gain as not to affect various parts of the image which aren't suppose to be fuschia tinged. I then adjusted the levels to crush the blacks a little to give the picture more contrast without messing with the overall luma levels. One important element to watch for is the color gain noise, which is inevitable when you have such drastic color corrections. There are filters which can reduce it but be careful with these as you would lose detail.
I have loaded a short clip with the uncorrected green video and the color corrected version side by side for comparison. Don't worry about the AF blurring, that comes with forgetting to turn it off when trying for non-artificial light shooting experiments. ![]()
[vimeo]16210095[/vimeo]
![]()
This is what the Annella Sp fan and Denise Sp seahorse looks like with MWB and Halogen lights. This is a frame capture so the aspect ratio didn't transfer from HD. Opps.