Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

A video excerpt from Thalassa featuring Christian Pétron

Started by Drew ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

A video excerpt from Thalassa featuring Christian Pétron

12 posts
  1. Christian Pétron, cinematographer of movies such as Le Grand Bleu and Transporter, shares his passion for the sea in a program on France3 television called Thalassa. This clip shows a few spots he's hit over the years from Australia to Tahiti via Cocos.

    And yes, he's only has one fully functioning lung.

    The video Flash

    *Note for flash...hit the play button and not the main screen.

    Edited by Drew
  2. Awesome. Ridiculous shot of the whale at the end - and a great shot of the school of silkies (I believe or duskies?). Wish I could have understood it.

    Bryce

    Edited by brycegroark
  3. Ridiculous shot of the whale at the end - Bryce

     

    :D Don't you mean Ridiculously fantastic.... O.k nothing we haven't seen before but something I could watch again and again .....I loved the whale sequence, bloody amazing.... ;)

     

    I think he was saying something like (add french accent) "ha,ha all you little moaning wetpixelians with your puny HDV camera's check out my mother of a housing, ha,ha,ha,ha you little fools, holy crap that big whales going to eat my french ass"..... ;)

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(thank heavens for little girls)B

  4. A translation summary:

    Christian talks about his damaged lung and his passion for diving and how he continued to dive despite having only one functioning lung.

    Christian then goes on about hearing the singing of the humpback which was 17m and 40 tons, and how it travels thousands of km.

    Edited by Drew
  5. Yeah, yeah.. thats what I ment.... :D

     

    (my translation was better though).... ;)

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(fromage frais)B

  6. Dean(fromage southern bits) B

  7. Yeah... cheesy as it is I liked the Whale bit. Stunning shot

  8. I don't think that whale was too happy! I wonder if that audio is original.

     

    I loved his work in the Big Blue. Especially those shots where Enzo gets set adrift into the blue in his Italian flag wetsuit. Would love to see it on the big screen again, although Rosanna Arquette is pretty irritating.

  9. Yes great Whale Shot.

    I bet he was thinking a few things as it swan over him like that. :D

  10. Reminded me of a space ship firing up and shooting over head..(no I'm not smoking anything) like on Close encounters...

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(Clean down south)B

  11. I'm headed to Lembeh next week and will try to get a nice whale shot like that for you all. Maybe he'll be sleeping in the muck,

    Steve

  12. Glad your thinking of us Steve :) ,

     

    Happy Easter to everyone.

     

    Jon

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.