Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Subal D3 & 14mm dome port

Started by MatthewAddison ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Subal D3 & 14mm dome port

8 posts
  1. Here is a picture of a Subal D3 housing which showed up on Pindito last week with an interesting dome port attached. The housing is the one made for DEMA and the dome was specifically made for the Nikon 14mm lens. I was told that it is sharp edge to edge and will give tack sharp over/unders. Right now, the port is custom but I was told that Subal is considering making this port for the 14-24.

    Hopefully this is not old news. I've been in the boonies of Indonesia for the past month and am not up on the Subal product line other than to say I'd like to have one!

    Peace, Out.post-9136-1206161676_thumb.jpg

  2. That port is HUGE, my current DP-FE2 is about 1/2 the size :)

     

    I very much recommend Subal, great product and service!

  3. Wow.

  4. Yes, it is freakishly large, which was what caught my eye right off the bat (other than it is the first D3 housing I have seen actually being dived. I'm not an optics expert but was told by it's owner that to get correct focus in the corners and on over/unders with a 14mm, the shape of the optics dictates such large diameter dome glass. I can tell you the images I saw were impressive as hell! The corners had no blurring issues whatsoever and the over/unders were tack sharp in both mediums. The water/air edge in the pictures was a razor thin line as well. Asked how he shoots such sharp over/unders, the owner informed me with a smile that the trick was "to get the dome half way out of the water and press the shutter." End of story. Sweet! I can do that! I asked what the buoyancy issues were given the large airspace and was told that it was not too bothersome.

     

    That port is HUGE, my current DP-FE2 is about 1/2 the size :)

     

    I very much recommend Subal, great product and service!

  5. I can hear adopters of Nikon's new 14-24 groaning over the requirement of that size dome port if they want sharp corners :)...

     

    Not to mention the issues caused by larger lens diameter! Should be interesting to see some of the manufacturer solutions.

  6. Well since we're all showing off, this is my "Mick Turner Dome" built (by Mick Turner of course) a few years ago for over/unders with my Subal/EOS film system. Very nice to use but not so nice to travel with as it needs its own peli case.

     

    I have just had it adapted to fit my Seacam system, so am looking forward to trying it with digital.

     

    I've only ever used it on the surface and down to 3-4 metres, never at depth. It does make my housing very light at the front...

     

    BTW that is my Seacam Superdome next to it.

     

    post-6899-1206361596_thumb.jpg

    Edited by photovan
  7. Well since we're all showing off, this is my "Mick Turner Dome" built (by Mick Turner of course) a few years ago for over/unders with my Subal/EOS film system. Very nice to use but not so nice to travel with as it needs its own peli case.

     

    Maybe we should start a 'Who has the biggest....... Dome Port' competition :) I doubt anyone can beat yours... (unless someone has his own submarine)

     

    If you will, please post your digital results with that Dome. I am very curious to see the outcomes compared to the Seacam Superdome.

  8. WOW is right! I cant imagine the DRAG on that thing!

     

    You might need to invest in a Double Tank Setup now for more bottom time.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.