Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Video editing and burning

Started by l.babcock ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Video editing and burning

6 posts
  1. Right now I am using premiere 6.5 for my editing, then I export it to Adobe MPEG Encoder, bitrate 8000, encoder quality 50

    ( video, 45 min to 1 hour max) once it is in a mv2 file, then I use Sonic DVDIT to burn it to disc. Is there a better and quicker way to do this, and also is my bit rate set right at 8000 for the length of the video I am doing.and also am I getting the highest quality video with what I am editing and burning with( I am shooting a Sony TRV 900) And my last question. What is the best way to make a DVD that will work in most DVD players, I have people telling me that it locks up in their DVD player, when it works just fine on mine.

     

     

    Thanks a lot guys

    Larry

  2. Hi Larry

    At 8mbps CBR rate 45 to 60 mins will fit on a normal DVD.

    You only need to go with a two pass VBR if you think it will not all fit on the DVD.

    Single Pass CBR 8mbps will give you the best quality however that also depends on what encoder you are using as some are better than others. Do not go any higher than 8mbps as some computers may find it hard to play if the computer is not running 100%. ie has a bug, virus, etc even though other lower rate DVD's play fine in it.

     

    Things that can cause DVD's to not play in some players.

    Blank Media Brand

    Encoder settings

    To high a encode

    DVD authoring program

    Burning software

    Speed at which you burn the disks

     

    Which one to use? well thats up to you but I can tell you there is much better stuff around than Prem 6.5 and DVDit.

     

    Tips...

    Encode max 8mbps

    Don't buy cheap media

    Use DVD-r disks.

    Don't burn over 6x speed

     

    One of the best authoring programs for the PC is DVDLab Pro. Not only is it easy to use but it has many advance features that will allow you to do some pretty tricky authoring.

    Edited by wagsy
  3. Right now I am using premiere 6.5 for my editing, then I export it to Adobe MPEG Encoder, bitrate 8000, encoder quality 50

    ( video, 45 min to 1 hour max) once it is in a mv2 file, then I use Sonic DVDIT to burn it to disc. Is there a better and quicker way to do this, and also is my bit rate set right at 8000 for the length of the video I am doing.and also am I getting the highest quality video with what I am editing and burning with( I am shooting a Sony TRV 900) And my last question. What is the best way to make a DVD that will work in most DVD players, I have people telling me that it locks up in their DVD player, when it works just fine on mine.

    Thanks a lot guys

    Larry

    8000 kbps CBR is perfect for a video 45-60 mins in length.

     

    I use Cinemacraft Encoder Basic to encode the MPEG2 file. It's simply the fastest and best quality there is. I think it even plugs into Premiere 6.5 but if it doesn't you can frameserve from Premiere to it using the free Debugmode Frameserver. Quality is just about matched by Procoder and TMPGenc products but they are nowhere near as fast and Procoder is much more expensive.

     

    I author simple DVDs in TMPGenc DVD Author which is straightforward and very quick, stable and reliable. I have version 1.5. Later versions support subtitle tracks but for more complex DVDs you might need something more sophisticated.

     

    I have always burned with Nero but I am currently testing the free, open source InfraRecorder which doesn't come with all the crap that Nero does.

     

    I've researched and tested A LOT of DVD blanks and the only blanks I will now buy for the DVDs I sell are Verbatim DVD+R or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R or +R. These can safely be burnt at 8x and possibly faster.

    Edited by Nick Hope
  4. I've researched and tested A LOT of DVD blanks and the only blanks I will now buy for the DVDs I sell are Verbatim DVD+R or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R or +R. These can safely be burnt at 8x and possibly faster.

     

     

    The TYs are great. I usually stick to -R for Single Layer discs (more of a holdover of old days of compatibility) and Vebatim +R for DL. Though the was something recently that Verbatim may have switch plants and the quality tailed off.

     

    Blank Media Brands Link is a good one for getting information on what is what.

  5. Yes the Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are all I ever use.

  6. I actually bought a load of TY after Wags recommendation. They are good, they seam a lot more robust than any others and only marginally more expensive.

     

    Jon

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.