Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Pool shoot with Ewa Marine/Canon 16-35/5d

Started by portlandmodelsearch ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Pool shoot with Ewa Marine/Canon 16-35/5d

13 posts
  1. I have scanned the internet for reviews of the Ewa Marine baggie style housing and I still have some lingering questions. I have a saltwater pool-based photo shoot coming up in April and I need a little advice before I commit to the Ewa path or rent a legit housing for my Canon 5d.

     

    My circumstances: I need to shoot above the waterline but in the pool 50% of the time, and the other half I will be underwater to a max depth of 5 feet. Shallow pool. I will either trigger studio strobes with a pocket wizard or on camera flash to optical slave. I have a 5d and the 16-35 2.8II.

     

    I can buy a Ewa Marine bag, either the U-AXP100 or the U-BXP100 and the accessory 82mm adapter for around $450-400. The primary advantage is weight. Even though the interface seems clumsy, I could conceivably handhold and maneuver with it in splashy circumstances for several hours. My question is, how terrible will the lens be using a flat port filter underwater with the 16-35? The subjects will tend to be in the central part of the frame, but I just don't want the optics to be horrible.

     

    or

     

    I can rent an Aquatica housing with a 17-40mm locally for the day($200). Reliable, accessible controls, Port style optics. I am just very wary of shooting above the waterline for extended periods of time, lugging around the housing. Carpal tunnel wrist issues make this less appealing.

     

    Any suggestions? Known differences between the U-AXP100 and the U-BXP100? Other solutions?

    Thanks for the help.

  2. As a general rule if you are getting paid to shoot images you should deliver professional quality results with no excuses relating to gear.

     

    If you want to shoot wide, my recommendation would be to go with the rented housed system, but hire it for 2 days and practice on the first day.

     

    You will need to check if the port / lens combination on offer needs a diopter if you want to shoot in and out of the water without pulling apart the housing and fitting/removing the diopter. And how it will handle over/unders if that's what you are hoping to do too.

  3. I have scanned the internet for reviews of the Ewa Marine baggie style housing and I still have some lingering questions. I have a saltwater pool-based photo shoot coming up in April and I need a little advice before I commit to the Ewa path or rent a legit housing for my Canon 5d.

     

    My circumstances: I need to shoot above the waterline but in the pool 50% of the time, and the other half I will be underwater to a max depth of 5 feet. Shallow pool. I will either trigger studio strobes with a pocket wizard or on camera flash to optical slave. I have a 5d and the 16-35 2.8II.

     

    I can buy a Ewa Marine bag, either the U-AXP100 or the U-BXP100 and the accessory 82mm adapter for around $450-400. The primary advantage is weight. Even though the interface seems clumsy, I could conceivably handhold and maneuver with it in splashy circumstances for several hours. My question is, how terrible will the lens be using a flat port filter underwater with the 16-35? The subjects will tend to be in the central part of the frame, but I just don't want the optics to be horrible.

     

    or

     

    I can rent an Aquatica housing with a 17-40mm locally for the day($200). Reliable, accessible controls, Port style optics. I am just very wary of shooting above the waterline for extended periods of time, lugging around the housing. Carpal tunnel wrist issues make this less appealing.

     

    Any suggestions? Known differences between the U-AXP100 and the U-BXP100? Other solutions?

    Thanks for the help.

  4. Are you Nutz??...I wouldnt put a sandwich in a zip lock bag...well maybe a sandwich but remember this,,,

    You get what you pay for!!!...Rent the housing, charge it back to the client or take it off your tax....either way it's worth the piece of mind knowing that when i take my baby below it's not gonna leek. Not to mention get fogged, sweaty or even better dropped on the concrete deck....

     

    Good luck!!

  5. Tax deductions/ rental costs are not the most important issue on this gig. It is more a matter of efficiency, final quality level, and mobility. I know the answer to which housing solution is better underwater, the aquatica. But how usable is the aquatica above the water, optically and comfortwise? Will the dome port be a major hindrance vs. flat port when it comes to strobe placement and flare? I will check on the diopter compatibility for above water exposures. I realize that the only way to conclusively settle these questions for me is to just bite the bullet(s) and test them myself. Tapping in to the body of underwater experience in this forum may save some wasted efforts, though.

    On a full frame camera, at what focal length does a flat port really diminish the quality level of a lens? 28? 24? 20?

  6. Hi and welcome to Wetpixel. I'm glad to see another model/fashion photographer here as I do this a lot.

     

    This one is a no-brainer. Since this is a professional shoot, you need two camera bodies anyway. Put one in the Aquatica housing w/ dome port for the underwater or split shots. Use your second body at the surface with a Ewa housing if you're worried about it getting splashed.

     

    Underwater, you really start to notice pincushion distortion and blurring of corners when you go with a lens wider than 28mm (FF) behind a flat port.

     

    Regards,

    James Wiseman

  7. Hi and welcome to Wetpixel. ....

     

    ...Regards,

    James Wiseman

     

    ...he really is you know...

  8. Also - for safety reasons, I would not use studio strobes around/near a pool.

     

    Regards,

    James Wiseman

  9. I think using both housings will be the best course of action. Good suggestion. As for strobes, I have shot at this location twice before and I am pretty paranoid about pool/strobe separation. All the strobes go on extra GFI extension cords and are also placed beyond tipping point water contact. One assistant will handle all the dry stuff while I am in the pool. I will also try and get an extra test session with the 5d housing. I used one once in Mexico but not enough to feel 100% comfortable. The rental place also has a system for floating pocket wizard triggers that connect to the housing.

  10. Yeah, those aquatech floating PW housings are cool. They have a gland so that the antenna can stick though, right?

     

    Do you have any photos online Portland? I'd love to see some. My portfolio is at:

     

    http://www.reefpix.org/v/underwater/wpq

     

    Cheers

    James

  11. Dan,

     

    That sounds cool.

     

    I rigged up some underwater strobes w/ softboxes on underwater light-stands. Worked pretty well for my last shoot:

     

    jwiseman%20002.jpg

     

    _MG_9501.jpg

     

    Cheers

    James

  12. James,

     

    Those underwater softboxes look pretty slick. Let's see the Octabank, too. I tried to visit your site but it timed out on me.

     

    Dan,

     

    Small world indeed. I will be checking in with you shortly....April 22nd is currently scheduled. Does the 17-40 work above water without port adjustment?

     

    -Jonah

     

    Here is one sample from a previous shoot.

    post-18457-1206598947_thumb.jpg

  13. Well? How'd it go Portland!? Hope you had a good shoot.

     

    James

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.