Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

edius and tape names

Started by PCDiver ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

edius and tape names

12 posts
  1. I have a question about Edius. I'm having problems with the reel name.

     

    The reel name can only be speficied when you use batch capture, not the normal capture process. I normally suck in the whole tape with scene recognition, but I would love to be able to specify the reel name which only seems possible with batch capture.

     

    Any tips? Is is possible to do a bulk change of the reel name for captured clips?

  2. I think Wags uses Edius exclusively so he'd be the best to answer this question. Have you tried changing it in the viewing menu?

  3. Wags uses edius? wow, i didn't know.. :D

  4. Hey how did you guys know that I use it :D

     

    What about the stand alone Mpeg capture thingy bob.

    Just name the file and suck it in as m2t or use the Canopus HQ codec.

    Set it to scene select if you want as well.

    While it's coming in you can just keep doing other things on your computer as well which is handy. ;)

     

    As for doing it inside the program? I don't know...will have to have a look. I just rename them to whatever once on the computer or in the bin.

  5. I think he is worried about the capture corresponding with his shot list notes. I always laugh at the assistants who have to mark takes with timecode and tape numbers. Modern NLEs have removed yet another job from the industry LOL

  6. Yes it's pretty funny editing the old way with 3 tape decks. Mind you I have seen some pretty fast guys with them. Pretty funny though if you make a mistake on the master edit tape and have to go back and make a change. Now what tape was that scene on again.... :D

     

    How about this...

     

    Get into your settings and click confirm file name before capture.

    cp1.jpg

     

    Then when you hit capture you get this

    cp.jpg

    Edited by wagsy
  7. Hey how did you guys know that I use it :D

     

    What about the stand alone Mpeg capture thingy bob.

    Just name the file and suck it in as m2t or use the Canopus HQ codec.

    Set it to scene select if you want as well.

    While it's coming in you can just keep doing other things on your computer as well which is handy. ;)

     

    As for doing it inside the program? I don't know...will have to have a look. I just rename them to whatever once on the computer or in the bin.

     

     

    I think that the standalone thingy doesn't work with HDV. I'm not talking about the file name. I'm talking about the reel name. When I return from a two week trip I have dozens of tape. I can include the name of the reel in the name of the clip but that makes the name quite long. There is this nice property called reel name, but by default it is empty. It does not allow mass updates afterwards. Bummer. Typing in the name one by one for thousands of clips is not funny.

     

    The only way to specify the reel name is via batch capture. It would be nice if you could do batch capture of an entire tape with scene recognition, without having to specify individual clips.

  8. Thats what that MPEG Capture program is for..... to suck in HDV.

    Looks like it does not do scene select.

     

    I see now what you are trying to do.

     

    I would just suck in a whole tape to a folder called Tape 1 and name the clip 1

    Suck in another tape into a new folder called Tape 2 and and name the clip 2

    and so on...

     

    Once you have them all, import the folders into your bin and then you know that all the clips in folder 2 is from tape 2. They will be named like 2, 2(0), 2(2), 3(3)....as they get broken up.

     

    In your bin if you click on a video clip icon with your middle button on your mouse ( push wheel down) and hold it there. Move your mouse left and right and it will zoom through the clip. It's a good way to see whats on any clip without having to bring it into your preview window or timeline.

    Edited by wagsy
  9. Oh no another Edius flaw... why don't you just select the clips you want and right click to change the names in bulk? Seems to me the best way to program a bulk name change.

  10. Oh no another Edius flaw... why don't you just select the clips you want and right click to change the names in bulk? Seems to me the best way to program a bulk name change.

     

    Bulk renames don't work. They have to be done one by one. :D

  11. I would just suck in a whole tape to a folder called Tape 1 and name the clip 1

    Suck in another tape into a new folder called Tape 2 and and name the clip 2

    and so on...

     

    Doesn't really work for me. I use clips from different tapes in many projects. I export bins from one project (the capture project) and import the bins in other projects. The moment they are in the timeline, you loose the bin reference. These clips have a reel name property and I don't see why it should be so difficult to use it.

     

    Is it possible to create a dummy batch file, as in one clip for an entire tape, and then batch capture that tape with scene detection?

     

    I'm currently working in Germany, so I cannot test this myself. And I also assumed that our Edius expert would be able to provide a solution from the top of his head. :D

  12. Well I suppose we are all different in how we use programs.

     

    I just drag a folder full of clips into the bin.

    Each folder keeps it's name and each clip I gave a title too as it got firewired in.

     

    Does not take much effort to see what is on each clip either via the playable thumbnails or a quick scrub in the preview window.

     

    I don't mess around with batch capture, just suck the whole tape in.

    Like wise I don't use scene capture as you end up with zillions of tiny files...it's pretty easy to scrub a clip in the preview window to grab the bits you want.

     

    So no I have not got an answer to what you are trying to achieve.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.