Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Raw Images to practice on?

Started by colinm85 ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Raw Images to practice on?

8 posts
  1. Hi all,

    Realtively new to this forum. I've done some underwater photography with an old Canon A70, but just within the past month upgraded to a G9. Been reading a lot of stuff about RAW vs Jpeg, as you can imagine. With my old camera, I just used Microsoft Digital Image Suite to touch up the Jpegs, mostly removing the blue tint and adjusting the exposure. It worked pretty well for me. I'm not convinced that RAW will give me a ton of advantage, but I'd like to try it out. I'm going on vacation to the USVI in a couple weeks, and would like to take a look at how to do some RAW manipulation. I just downloaded a free RAW manipulator called RawTherapee, and have done some fooling around with snapshots I've taken. But I'd like to try some iunderwater manipulation. Anyone know where there are Underwater RAW files on the internet for download? Failing that, anyone mind sharing 1 or 2 RAW underwater shots with me so I can get some experience before I go on vacation? If so, I'll be happy to use any file transfer method you like, including providing my email address. Thanks in advance.

     

    Colin

     

    PS, I downloaded GIMP also to see what, if any advantage I might get over DIS. Any input on that is welcome also. Thanks

  2. Sure no problem - if you want to send me an email via my web site link below.

     

    I have shots from Nikon D70 & D200. But you may well find someone here with your specific brand of camera.

     

    In general you will appreciate RAW - you will 'gain' a couple of stops of exposure latitude which is invaluable in the water.

     

    In short it is well worth shooting in RAW.

     

    Paul C

  3. If your camera has the ability to shoot RAW and you don't, you are wasting the money used to purhcase it. RAW saves you not only with exposure latitude, but more importantly the White Balance. I have been able to save images 4 stops under exposed. This means you have the ability to shoot at a faster shutter speed to avoid blurry images, while not having to worry as much about your F-stop. While nothing can replace having a perfectly exposed image, RAW comes close!

     

    Keith

  4. I think one thing that has not been addressed about RAW vs JPEG, is that RAW is only better than JPEG if it is properly manipulated, this is why folks like wedding photographers who shoot high volume shoots snd don't want to spend any time manipulating, often still shoot JPEG.

    I would suggest shooting RAW and JPEG initially until you have a good RAW workflow in place, it can also give you an idea initially as to what to shoot for initially making your RAW adjustments by comparing to your JPEG. Then once you are comfortable with the process, you can drop the JPEG

    Edited by loftus
  5. I would suggest shooting RAW and JPEG initially until you have a good RAW workflow in place, it can also give you an idea initially as to what to shoot for initially making your RAW adjustments by comparing to your JPEG. Then once you are comfortable with the process, you can drop the JPEG

     

    I actually still use RAW + JPEG myself. With the cards being big (and cheap) enough I seem to have enough room to take both. I leave the camera on highest quality JPEG + RAW and shoot away. I think it is because I will often travel with a less powerful computer and have tried not to jam up too much vacation time with processing so I can get quick looks.

     

    BTW OT, did you download Aperture 2.1 yet? Thought of you when I saw Noise Ninja plug-in http://www.apple.com/aperture/resources/

  6. I downloaded 2.1 over the weekend, the dodge and burn plug-in looks interesting though I have not had a chance to play with it much yet. Yes I think with Noise Ninja and who knows what else in the pipeline, Aperture is really maturing as an awesome piece of software and it's going to be hard to convince me to upgrade Photoshop again in the future

  7. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will probably do both RAW and Jpeg while shooting underwater, and probably just stick to Jpeg above it, except maybe if I do some sports shots and want to make sure I have room to underexpose.

     

    PRC, I did send you an email from my work address which was returned to me. I tried sending from hotmail also, but dont know if it was delivered. If you're still up for lending me a couple imaged to practice on, drop me a note at colinm85@hotmail.com - that may not work for sending the files since they are so big, but I can senfd you my work address. Thanks again

     

    Colin

  8. Sure Colin I will email you from work tomorrow. My site ISP is a bit 'dodgey' and has been blacklisted for some of the sites I share a server with.

     

    But what do you expect for $1.95 a month?

     

    Paul C

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.