Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Diopters and housing servicing

Started by StuartL ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Diopters and housing servicing

4 posts
  1. I'm intending to take a Canon 5D underwater, with the 100mm macro or the 16-35mm II, depending on my mood and what I'm shooting. I've already started picking up bits and pieces of an Aquatica housing as I can afford them (Australia being what it is, there's very little local stock, so I'm getting them from B&H).

     

    The question is: is it desirable to put a diopter on the 16-35mm when using it with the 8" dome? Being an 82mm filter thread, there are no direct options available, but Schneider Optics do make a filter in the Series 9 size, as well as an adapter to mount Series 9 filters on 82mm threads (information I picked up from the uwphotochat forums.) Minimum focus distance for this lens is 28cm.

     

    The other thing that's bugging me: what should I do in terms of servicing the housing? Cleaning the easy-to-reach O rings is fine, but what about those that are a bit harder to reach? Is it particularly difficult or fiddly, or just time consuming? (Bear in mind that I'm an IT professional - I'm not used to doing fine work with my hands.)

     

    It looks like B&H carries the O ring kits, so that's one concern alleviated, at least.

     

    Thanks for any and all advice - I'm a genuine neophyte (at least for underwater SLR photography - I have a fair amount of knowledge on the surface), but keen to learn.

  2. Stuart,

    Hi be very sure the increase in length with a dioptre lens does not cause it to foul the inside of the port at full zoom. I wrecked a port that way.

    regards Tim Digger

  3. not sure about the dioptres.

     

    but, you can send your housing to your local dealer for servicing i would think

  4. Have you spoken to Peter Mooney at scubapix in Cairns?

    I know that he stocks Aquatica and his prices are dictated by import duties

    and not his hunger. He is a very helpful bloke and an Icon on the international scene... :unsure:

    If that sounds as though I'm laying it on a bit thick, give him a call, find out for yourself... B)

    HTH,

    Bruce...

    Edited by bruceterrill
WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.